cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Routing via a Layer 3 Switch

Dwayne Phills
Level 1
Level 1

I have a question about traffic traversing a layer 3 switch (6509).  Currently, we have a 6509 acting as the gateway for all nodes.  There is consideration of moving the gateway to the internal routers.  If the gateway routers would have router-on-a-stick, and an end-node try to communicate to another node on a seperate vlan (but on the same switch); would the traffic ever leave the backplane of the switch?  Baring the nodes default gateway are now changed to the gateway routers.

*** If anyone could add the pros and cons of switching the gateways, that would be excellent. ***

Thank you.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Elton Babcock
Level 1
Level 1

I would surely stay with the 6509 doing the routing for you. If you moved your routing closer to the clients, maybe 3570 switches would be the answer.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Jeff Van Houten
Level 5
Level 5

I'm curious as to what the benefit of this proposal is. Router on a stick over svi on an l3 routing switch? Must be one hell of a router.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

is that your constructive answer?

It's not an answer at all. It's a question.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

Elton Babcock
Level 1
Level 1

I would surely stay with the 6509 doing the routing for you. If you moved your routing closer to the clients, maybe 3570 switches would be the answer.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Thanks Elton.  I'm sure we will stay with the 6509s. 

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card