cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Same network, different vlan tags between switches??

rkallas
Level 1
Level 1

I have a Perimeter DMZ VLAN that I'm trying to extend to a VM enclosure. The path is:

Perim Sw------->FW---------->Core SW------->Agg SW------------>EnclosureSW---->VM

Cat3350               PIX         Cat6509          Cat6509              Cat4948

ON the perimeter switches, the VLAN is 50. This is a /27 network, and the VM in the Enclosure has an IP address for this network.

On the Agg switch, VLAN 50 was assigned to a different network (by a previous engineer), and the Perimeter network is VLAN 53.

So is there a way for me to strip and retag or translate the VM device from VLAN 53 to VLAN 50 and get it extended over to the Perimeter DMZ?

Ray

3 Replies 3

Jeff Van Houten
Level 5
Level 5

isn't the firewall routing? If so the vlans don't connect between perimeter and core in your diagram.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

So sorry, I've out ill for a few days.  Yes you are correct about the FW doing the routing.  My diagram is a bit misleading I think.

It should be this:

I think what I need to do is create another Vlan on the Core sw, let's say 950, and extend it across to the Edge switch. However, I think I have to map VLAN 950 to VLAN 50 at some point, but I'm not sure.

Jason Dance
Level 1
Level 1

In my environment I kept the Perimeter and internal interfaces completely seperate on the VM environment.  Do you have a spare interface on your VM enclosure to connect to your 3550?

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card