cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Same VLAN number at multiple sites

Matt Roberts
Level 1
Level 1

Most of our remote locations are L2, but I need to enable L3 on them and put them all on different subnets. We have several remote locations and I was wondering can I use the same VLAN numbers at each location if they are on different subnets? For example

Site A
vlan 100 - Management 10.1.0.0/24
Vlan 102 - Data 10.1.2.0/24

Site B
Vlan 100 - Management 10.2.0.0/24
Vlan 102 - Data 10.2.2.0/24

Is this a bad idea, should each remote location be on a different vlan? Doesn't the VLAN tag get removed once the traffic is routed? What if I'm routing using an SVI, I have to allow the VLAN through the trunk to keep the SVI up. 

3 Replies 3

jhager001
Level 1
Level 1

Yes you can, there is no VLAN tagging over a L3 link, therefor you can have the exact same VLAN's at every site with different subnets, since the subnets are being routed, not the VLAN ID

To keep the SVI up I would have to allow the VLAN over the trunk link so this will not cause an issue?

Matt

If they are different vlans your links should be L3 not trunks.

For the data vlans as long as there is a client port up/up then your SVI will be up/up.

Your management vlan however won't be up if you have no trunks.

If there are no trunks to other switches within each site then use a loopback rather than an SVI for management.

If there are other switches in each site connected to the L3 switch then an SVI for management will work.

Jon

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card