Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Secondary Boot to TFTP Cisco 2960s

Hi, 

I'm installing switches for a client located very far from our HQ. This client is only accessible by plane (it is actually a mine located nothern Quebec, about 1000 km from our office). 

I was about to finish the configuration of the switches when I though I could make a TFTP server on a VM and backup the config file and IOS in the TFTP root directory. 

But since the client want every single redoundancy mecanism possible on earth, I thought I could add a secondary boot on the switch. If the IOS and config file in the flash memory get corrupted, it could automatically boot from the TFTP server. 

Is it possible to do add a secondary boot system and boot config-file on a Cisco 2960-S switch ? 

Thank you very much !

Pierre-Luc Delisle

2 Replies 2

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
This client is only accessible by plane (it is actually a mine located nothern Quebec, about 1000 km from our office). 

I use to support BHP & Rio Tinto's sites in Yellowknife.  And boy, it was tough getting faults fixed.  

Is it possible to do add a secondary boot system and boot config-file on a Cisco 2960-S switch ? 

Not possible on a cheap 2960S.  Multiple boot statements are supported (starting from) Sup/32/Sup720/Sup2T for the 6500 chassis.  

Thank you very much ! :) Have a nice day !

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card