The server can only ping 172.16.0.1 if port Fa 0/22 on Switch is in Vlan 172

Does this sound right?

Packet Tracer

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

chrihussey
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

If I am understanding you correctly, yes, that sounds right. If you create a VLAN 172 interface that is the same network/default gateway as the server, then the server needs to be put in that VLAN.

I know it is Packet Tracer, but by default all switch ports are in VLAN 1, so if you keep the server in the default VLAN and gave the logical VLAN 1 interface the same 172.16.0.1 IP, then you wouldn't have to put the server port into VLAN 172.

Hope that helps

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

chrihussey
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

If I am understanding you correctly, yes, that sounds right. If you create a VLAN 172 interface that is the same network/default gateway as the server, then the server needs to be put in that VLAN.

I know it is Packet Tracer, but by default all switch ports are in VLAN 1, so if you keep the server in the default VLAN and gave the logical VLAN 1 interface the same 172.16.0.1 IP, then you wouldn't have to put the server port into VLAN 172.

Hope that helps

yes agree so without ip routing enabled or a device doing the routing , you can only reach whats in your current broadcast domain in a switch acting as layer 2

you need a l3 enabled device to be able to ping between vlans , the server should be able to reach anything else in vlan 172 though , once as you seen you need to have the access ports in that vlan 2

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card