cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

service-module g2/0 session access fails

cbrun
Level 1
Level 1

I did not add a vty/telnet password when I initially configured my NME-X-23ES-1G switch in my 3825 router. Now, of course I can not telnet to the switch, but the session access fails as well. How do I recover this?

Config in 3825:

interface GigabitEthernet2/0

ip address 106.40.x.x.255.255.0

Attempt to access switch module:

3825_Router2#service-module g2/0 sess

Trying 106.40.77.254, 2130 ...

% Connection refused by remote host

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

a-vazquez
Level 6
Level 6

The default configuration for Cisco EtherSwitch service modules allows an end user to recover from a lost password. The password recovery disable feature allows the system administrator to protect access to the switch password by disabling part of this functionality and allowing the user to interrupt the boot process only by agreeing to set the system back to the default configuration. With password recovery disabled, the user can still interrupt the boot process and change the password, but the configuration file (config.text) and the VLAN database file (vlan.dat) are deleted.

The following document shows how to recover from a lost or forgotten password.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/modules/ps2797/products_feature_guide09186a0080415bae.html#wp1776357

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

a-vazquez
Level 6
Level 6

The default configuration for Cisco EtherSwitch service modules allows an end user to recover from a lost password. The password recovery disable feature allows the system administrator to protect access to the switch password by disabling part of this functionality and allowing the user to interrupt the boot process only by agreeing to set the system back to the default configuration. With password recovery disabled, the user can still interrupt the boot process and change the password, but the configuration file (config.text) and the VLAN database file (vlan.dat) are deleted.

The following document shows how to recover from a lost or forgotten password.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/modules/ps2797/products_feature_guide09186a0080415bae.html#wp1776357

Now, 7 years later, this link goes 404. 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card