cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Setting Up Subnetting in Packet Tracer

PriestLLC
Level 1
Level 1

I have uploaded a packet tracer file that I need some help in. I would like to know how can I set up subnetting in this network. From my limited knowledge in packet tracer, I know that I have to set an IP address on the router, and then set the default gateway of all the workstations to that IP address, but none of the workstations are switching to that default gateway. Where am I going wrong in this?

10 Replies 10

Hello,

you have numerous routers and apparently one DHCP pool set up. What is the network supposed to look like ? Which laptops need which IP addresses ? 

The network is supposed to be a star topology with 5 subnets, each holding 30 workstations each. The laptops need to take the IP address of whatever subnet that has an access point it connects to.

Hello,

the laptops are set to DHCP, where are the different DHCP servers/pools ? All I can see is one DHCP server with one DHCP pool...

Also, the Marketing and Finance Dept routers are using the same IP address space (192.168.1.0/24). 

Do you want all the DHCP pools on the DHCP server, or do you want the routers to be the DHCP servers ?

I changed the IP address of both routers, so that they are unique and I added the 5 router to the server's DHCP pool. I would like to to have all the DHCP pool on the DHCP server, but I am willing to use whatever method ensures that I can create 5 successful subnets.

Hello,

the only thing you are probably missing is the 'ip helper-address' command on all routers not directly connected to the DHCP server. Can you send the revised project file ?

I attached the revised file.

Hello,

your routers are only configured with one interface and one IP address, there is no interconnectivity between the routers, so none of the clients will ever even reach the DHCP server. You need to make sure first that all routers are connected, and then configure a routing protocol such as RIPv2 on all routers:

router rip

version 2

network 0.0.0.0

To be honest I am having a hard time understanding what your final setup should look like. In order for this to work, your entire topology needs to be revised. But I don't know if what you currently have configured needs to be there somehow, or if it can be removed...

I originally revised my original design because I was getting nowhere with it. Do you think the original design is better than the new one?

Hello,

I would actually get rid of all routers except one, which I would use for a router-on-a-stick topology. That means you need to create a VLAN for each department, connect all the switches with trunk links, preferably configure VTP between the switches, and then connect an interface on the one remaining router to the central switch. You then configure subinterfaces on the router.

I know that this is a lot to ask, but could you do these changes for me? I do not like others to do my work for me, but at this point I have given it my all with my current knowledge of packet tracer, and I am now more interested in seeing what a network of this kind is properly supposed to look like. From there, I can use what I have seen an apply it to other networks that I make in the future.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card