cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

SF300 - How to add source VLAN tags to VLAN Mirroring?

keithhesstx
Level 1
Level 1

I have an SF300-24 in L2 mode split into 4 VLANs.  All the FE ports are configured as Access Ports on their respective VLANs.  No trunk ports.  No tagging on the connected traffic.  I have the 4 VLANs Mirroring to one of the gigabit ports, GE4, where I have Wireshark running to monitor traffic.  So far, so good.  However, I'd like the source VLAN ID inserted into the mirrored traffic so that it's easier for me to fetter out which VLAN the traffic came from.  Can that be configured on the SF300?

Seems like something RSPAN would do, but that doesn't show as an option on the SF300.  Running latest firmware.

1 Reply 1

pieterh
VIP
VIP

If you are source is VLAN's not ports then it should be sufficient to configure your monitor port GE4 as a vlan-trunk port.

packets will be sent out to GE4 as vlan-tagged packets with the source vlan in the vlan tag.

NB! normal workstation NIC drivers are not vlan aware, 

So in addition you may need to tweak your wireshark setup to NOT ignore/strip the vlan tag

see the wireshark wiki

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: