Views
Helpful
Replies

sg 200-18 possible layer 1 only ?

chrismcleod4548
Level 1
Level 1

hi all,

just a question : is it possible on a sg 200-18 to deactivate all advanced options ?

a friend has bought it and he often don't have any internet access at his home because of this sg 200 : as soon as i put an old layer 1 netgear 24 switch, all is on on the next seconds...
So i suppose it's certainly an advanced functionnality on the sg 200 that is creating a conflict or something else wrong ?
Maybe disabling advanced functions may help ?  what are you thinking, any suggestion ?

thanks in advance and have a nice day ^^

2 Replies 2

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Chris,

>> a friend has bought it and he often don't have any internet access at his home because of this sg 200 : as soon as i put an old layer 1 netgear 24 switch, all is on on the next seconds

The netgear is still an OSI layer2 transparent bridge it can be an unmanaged plug and play switch.

Only Hubs are layer1 devices but they are not recommended as they are a performance bottle neck and they do not allow for concurrent sending of frames on different ports and user NIC have to use half duplex and collision detection.

The SG200-18 can be configured it would be nice to know what is the current configuration to see what can be the root cause of the issues.

But your problem description is too much generic to provide useful suggestions.

For sure the SG200 should act as a layer2 only switch so I would look to disable any DHCP pool on the device as a first thing to check.

Then I would look at enabling spanning-tree portfast on all user ports

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Hello, and thx for your answer ^^

i've learned thanks to you that the other switches are layer 2, cool ^^

i'll follow your first suggestions, which sound rather good, you're right. 
Is ther a way to do that on my own home, cause i've got a sg200 -26 here...
It may cause a conflict or something not so good, isn't it ?  maybe i'll have to realize the modifs at his home ?

and yes, your answer helps, it makes some things to try to resolve the connection's loss that he suffered some times.

In your wait for doing these modifs right.

thx, and have a nice day !    :o)

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco