Helpful
Replies

SG300-28MP System LED blinking but doesn't obtain default IP

begomez
Level 1
Level 1

Hi fellow community members,

Just wondering if anyone has any tips for having a SG300-28MP, where the:

- System LED blinking but doesn't obtain default IP. i.e. I can't ping/http 192.168.1.254 when I put my laptop on a 192.168.1.x address.

- Console cable with 115,200 bps, 8 data, no parity, 1 stop bit, no flow .. Doesn't work for me on either TeraTerm or PuTTY.

- I hold in the "Reset" button with a pin, for more than 30 seconds however the switch does not have all LED's light up and undergo a reboot.

I've configured up many SG300 devices over the past year and this one has stumped me - the most recent ones via the same console cable and USB/serial converter. Has anyone else experienced this, or got any tips? Has the switch gone to switch heaven?

Thanks,

Ben

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Ben,

This seems like it will be a hardware issue if you can't get anything in the console. Just to verify, have you tried plugging the switch into a network with DHCP? If so, do you get an address? If not, please try this and see if the system light goes solid and if there is an address in the DHCP pool for the switch.

As for the warranty, The SG300 has a limited lifetime warranty- meaning that until the device is End-of-Life'd you are entitled to hardware support. Search for your specific model and add EOL to find out when it is out of hardware support. Also, the SG-300 has an advanced replacement RMA so we will send you the replacement first, and once you verify that it is working you will ship the defective device back to us.

If you can't get a DHCP address, I'd recommend calling in at 1-866-606-1866 and opening up a case.

Mark Holtzer

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Glenn Martin
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Benjamin:

If you haven't done so, take a look at the SG300 Quick Start (Chapter 4) and let me know if you can see the indicator resembles any of the patterns described. 

http://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/csbms/sf30x_sg30x/quick_start/78-19252-01.pdf

Hi Glenn,

Thanks for helping out! Here are the LED status' observed: 

- "System" LED stays blinking green immediately upon boot-up and stays that way i.e. the exact same steady/quick pattern as to when the switch comes with default settings. There is no LED for the Fan as I think this is an older hardware revision.

- When no data cables are plugged in, the switch ports don't light up or blink, even after the "Reset" button is held for 60 seconds

- Should a data cable be plugged in, the LED's are "LINK" green/fairly solid/flashing very quick, PoE solid amber for the first 24 ports. If a data cable is plugged into the last 4 Gigabit ports, then the "LINK/ACT" is green/fairly solid/flashing very quick and "GIGABIT" LED is green/solid.

Any ideas on the next steps? Is it possible for someone to explain the limited lifetime warranty on these switches? This particular one was purchased between 1 and 2 years ago.

Thanks again,

Ben

Ben,

This seems like it will be a hardware issue if you can't get anything in the console. Just to verify, have you tried plugging the switch into a network with DHCP? If so, do you get an address? If not, please try this and see if the system light goes solid and if there is an address in the DHCP pool for the switch.

As for the warranty, The SG300 has a limited lifetime warranty- meaning that until the device is End-of-Life'd you are entitled to hardware support. Search for your specific model and add EOL to find out when it is out of hardware support. Also, the SG-300 has an advanced replacement RMA so we will send you the replacement first, and once you verify that it is working you will ship the defective device back to us.

If you can't get a DHCP address, I'd recommend calling in at 1-866-606-1866 and opening up a case.

Mark Holtzer

Perfect! Will try the switch as a DHCP client early next week and will reply after that sometime whether that gets it to work or not. Thanks again for your help Mark and Glenn! 

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card