cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Shallow VS Deep Buffer + Bufferbloat

Iluvnetwork
Level 1
Level 1

Can anyone explain to me these two terminologies, shallow buffer and deep buffer? I am trying to understand the google's New TCP algorithm. I got stuck at shallow and deep buffer plus bufferbloat :(

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Mark Malone
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi

Im not sure about Googles algorithm or up on it but in Cisco hardware depending on dist core or access switcthes the buffers vary , some are larger can hold more and some are lower hold less

3750s are renound for having low buffers and can result in lots of drops when switches are even slightly overutilised , while the newer 3850s they increased i believe to 12mb but would nned to check the docs to clarify from 2 or 4mb in 37s

Bufferbloat

Bufferbloat is the undesirable latency that comes from a router or other network equipment buffering too much data. It is a huge drag on Internet performance created, ironically, by previous attempts to make it work better. The one-sentence summary is “Bloated buffers lead to network-crippling latency spikes.”

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Mark Malone
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi

Im not sure about Googles algorithm or up on it but in Cisco hardware depending on dist core or access switcthes the buffers vary , some are larger can hold more and some are lower hold less

3750s are renound for having low buffers and can result in lots of drops when switches are even slightly overutilised , while the newer 3850s they increased i believe to 12mb but would nned to check the docs to clarify from 2 or 4mb in 37s

Bufferbloat

Bufferbloat is the undesirable latency that comes from a router or other network equipment buffering too much data. It is a huge drag on Internet performance created, ironically, by previous attempts to make it work better. The one-sentence summary is “Bloated buffers lead to network-crippling latency spikes.”

Thank you very much. Learned a lot :)
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card