cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

show running-config

krishna3010
Level 1
Level 1

What do the exclamation marks in show running-config and show startup-config say. Are they there for clean output or is there any other meaning.

9 Replies 9

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Krishna

In show running-config and show startup-config the exclamation points are only there to help in formatting the output and to help space between sections of the config. They do not have any other meaning.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Hi Richard,

Is it possible to remove those "!" marks.?  We have few 6807 in our network and they have an unreasonable amount of black space in between configurations.

Sarath

For something quick and dirty you could exclude lines with exclamation points, e.g.

show conf | ex !

or

show conf | ex ^!$

If you want to just remove leading exclamation points and replace multiple blank lines with one, you would likely need to run config through a script.

Sarath

The exclamation points are inserted in the output by the Cisco command parser. I do not know of a way to suppress them other than the suggestion by Joseph to use the exclude function in the show command.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

this was an excellent response to this question!!  i wish the ! could be removed, but the command helped me greatly being able to just print it out!!

Thanks

I am glad that the suggestion was helpful. Thank you for sharing your experience with this.

HTH

Rick

Thanks for that Richard.

You are welcome.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Ganesh Hariharan
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

What do the exclamation marks in show running-config and show startup-config say. Are they there for clean output or is there any other meaning.

Hi,

As Rick Said just for more readable format and it is true as  exclamation marks (!) are used to create blank lines as spacers. These extra lines do not affect the functionality of the router; they exist only to make the configuration files more readable.

Hope to Help !!

Ganesh.H

Remember to rate the helpful post

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card