Views
Helpful
Replies

Shutdown for proper routing

suthomas1
Level 6
Level 6

Hi,

We have a network topology where BGP is running with the provider and internally eigrp is running.

Now, as part of device shutdown, we need to shutdown all network devices in a proper manner.

For this, what sequence will be good from a routing perspective, should the router be shut first or the core & how the power up scenario be?

Appreciate all inputs.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

This depends on how big your network is and what services it is providing.

For small networks I agree with Reza, it doesn't matter.

On the other hand I have worked on large networks where the edge devices are shut down first. The network monitoring tools are hosted on the core. This way I can keep monitoring the network for as long as possible to make sure that we haven't missed any devices.

There are also requirements from the server admins to take into consideration. They need time to shut down their VMs and storage in the proper sequence. This means that the switches shutdown in the core hosting these VMs need to match this requirement so they aren't corrupted before they can be shut down as well.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

If you are going to shutdown all network devices, it really doesn't matter where you start.

HTH

This depends on how big your network is and what services it is providing.

For small networks I agree with Reza, it doesn't matter.

On the other hand I have worked on large networks where the edge devices are shut down first. The network monitoring tools are hosted on the core. This way I can keep monitoring the network for as long as possible to make sure that we haven't missed any devices.

There are also requirements from the server admins to take into consideration. They need time to shut down their VMs and storage in the proper sequence. This means that the switches shutdown in the core hosting these VMs need to match this requirement so they aren't corrupted before they can be shut down as well.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card