cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Slow file transfers (HTTP/FTP) to & from LAN

sean.figg
Level 1
Level 1

I won't go into crazy details, model #'s, etc., since I'm 'newer' to networking and don't want to blab off things that don't matter. We've had our infrastructure in place well before I merged into our network department, and no one here can seem to figure this out.

Our internet pipe is 1GBps/1GBps currently. If I host a HTTP server or FTP server inside of our network, with all ports and firewall open to the outside world (no QoS or anything), I can only pull down at 2MB/sec consistently. Or if I upload files from outside of our network to the server, I get the same speeds. I've tried on various servers, so it's not hardware related, as the VM has plenty of resources. 

I'm not sure if this has soemthing to do with TCP window sizes, or what the deal is - but we've even switched firewalls recently to Palo Alto, and it's still the same as it was on our Dell Supermassive Sonicwall, which makes me think it's Cisco related. 

Any ideas of what I can check first? Or what info can I provide you guys to help figure out what it could be? This isn't an issue for most of our business use, but file transfers are SLOW when I should be getting much faster. A full gigabit connection here with no one in the offices after hours or on the weekends, transferring via HTTP or FTP will still pull down at 2MB/sec. I can open up 10 FTP sessions, and they will all pull down at 2MB/sec each - so it's not the total bandwidth, but almost a limit of each individual transfer.

Any suggestions?
Thanks! 

0 Replies 0
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card