Views
Helpful
Replies

Sonos Port Configuration

Lord Tiger
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, 

I was wondering if someone has Sonos speakers in production and if there are specific recommended interface configurations for them, I would really appreciate an example. This is what I currently have but issues are being reported so I want to make sure that configs are right (C3850 Switch).

interface GigabitEthernet1/0/10
description Sonos Devices
switchport access vlan 250
switchport mode access
no logging event link-status
spanning-tree portfast
service-policy input Untrusted-Port
end

Thank you!
1 Reply 1

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

@Lord Tiger wrote:

no logging event link-status
service-policy input Untrusted-Port

Take these two lines off.  

SONOS, like Bose, require mDNS to be enabled. This is how they send traffic to the speakers. And, like Bose, make sure the speakers have updated firmware.

The speakers don't like (or work well) with multi-hop:  The speakers "prefer" to be in the same switch.  I mean, multi-hop can work but it is tricky and any updates can quickly bork the setup. 

I had a Bose Soundtouch 30 connect to the wireless and the app was running on a wired desktop machine for awhile.  This stopped working after the last update so now I had to result in using an iPad to control the Soundtouch 30.

Hope this helps.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card