Views
Helpful
Replies

Spanning-tree Error message. URGENT!!!

pfizcisco
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Guys,

I am seen this error message on a 4000 access switch "%SYS-4-P2_WARN: 1/Traffic from permanent host 00:08:a3:dd:a7:dd but seen on incorrect port 1/2" That mac address is from the switch itself. I don't know much about this type of problems, but it looks like to me thet switch is seen traffic on port 1/2 comming from 1/1. There are 5 Vlan's on this switch. When I check the uplinks to see which one is blocking, 1/2 is blocking for 4 of the vlans only. One of the vlan's (500) says forwading on both uplinks ports 1/1 and 1/2. I guess maybe 1/2 is seen traffic from vlan 500 and that's why is giving me that error. Also when i check the 2 distribution switches I don't see anything indicating one of them is blocking vlan 500 traffic to each other. Can somebody please help. Thanks.

4 Replies 4

Kevin Dorrell
Level 10
Level 10

That is indeed strange. The access switch cannot be seeing root hellos on both the uplinks, otherwise it would have chopped one of them. Unless of course the access switch is itself the root bridge for VLAN 500 - you might like to check that.

Normally I give my access switches uplinkfast, which also ensures that they are never root bridge. Is it doing uplinkfast to the distribution?

Another thing to check - do you have UDLD enabled. It is always advisable, just in case you have any errors in your fibre infrastructure cabling.

Kevin Dorrell

Luxembourg.

Kevin thanks for the response. The problem is actually a bug in the software that is running 6.4(7), I just have to upgrade it to 6.4(9) to resolve it. Thanks.

Frankiel

Hi Franklin,

Please can you let us know wthe bug id? Just for my own information.

Thanks

-Alok

Hi Alok,

The bug id is CSCed13361. If you any other questions let me know. Thanks.

Franklin

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card