Helpful
Replies

Spanning Tree on catalyst 9407R

marylab
Level 1
Level 1

Hey everyone!

I need your help!

which type of spanning-tree is used on the catalyst 9407R?

and what are the problems that we could have with the spanning-tree while using StackWise virtual?

thanks for your help.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

The best thing to do then is read the release note for the version you have applied to the switch and check there are no known caveats relating to STP on that ios-xe , you cant really predict what problems you would have until you implement it and the more you follow the best practices relating to general STP the less chance there will be an issue , the main problem with STP is incorrect configuration , not controlling STP failures and understanding what will happen when theres a failure but this is all based on the design you have in place and is individual to each network so cant really be predicted without planning and knowledge of that network

The only thing that will tell you if there's an issue with STP before hand is if the actual release notes have a known bug for STP like Gibraltar release the latest

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst9400/software/release/16-10/release_notes/ol-16-10-9400.html

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Mark Malone
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni
Hi
default is pvst+ but supports multiple types

active stack in stackwise runs the STP , the standby switch redirects the STP BPDUs back over the SVL link between the switches , regarding problems there could be none could be many , set it up directly as per the documentation you should not experience STP issues in relation to stackwise feature

yeah, I know! I'm asking that just because I'm working on a project on this, and I wanted to clarify things and to better know what I'm facing and what to do for that.

The best thing to do then is read the release note for the version you have applied to the switch and check there are no known caveats relating to STP on that ios-xe , you cant really predict what problems you would have until you implement it and the more you follow the best practices relating to general STP the less chance there will be an issue , the main problem with STP is incorrect configuration , not controlling STP failures and understanding what will happen when theres a failure but this is all based on the design you have in place and is individual to each network so cant really be predicted without planning and knowledge of that network

The only thing that will tell you if there's an issue with STP before hand is if the actual release notes have a known bug for STP like Gibraltar release the latest

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst9400/software/release/16-10/release_notes/ol-16-10-9400.html

Thank you so much, Mark.
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card