cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Stack & Driver & Socket & Loopback

Iluvnetwork
Level 1
Level 1

Recently, I heard those words several times(UDP Socket, IP Stack, IP/UDP Driver), but I don't really know what they mean. If you know these three terminologies, could you please explain to me as easily as possible?

I know that 127.0.0.1 == Loopback Address == Local Host. My understanding is that pining the loopback interface is to verity that TCP/IP software is installed, started, and working properly. Also, by pinging 127.0.0.1, I can perform the test without being connected to a physical line or network. But it seems like there are definitely more usages. Please let me know if you know when to use it other than cases I mentioned.

Lastly, is it true that in order to communicate between a sofrware and a PC, they use the loopback address? Why softwares just use my private ip address to communicate with my PC? What are the differences between my private ip address and loopback address?     

1 Reply 1

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Questions like these are probably better posted to Cisco Learn Network, https://learningnetwork.cisco.com.
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco