cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Stack switch with different IOS image

Tarun Vyas
Level 1
Level 1

We are having two different model switch with different IOS image.

Switch Ports Model                                     SW Version                     SW Image                
------ ----- -----                                    ----------                    ----------              
*    1 28    WS-C3750G-24TS-1U             12.2(53)SE2           C3750-IPSERVICESK9-M    
     2 30    WS-C3750X-24                        12.2(53)SE2           C3750E-UNIVERSALK9-M    

Both of switch are connected with stack cable.

Customer is planning to upgrade the IOS image for stack.

Can I go for there suggested version and upgrade the swicth. I have never seen this kind of stack (different Image). Does it normal or could be risky for upgrade.

Kindly suggest....

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Can be done. The upload process will take twice as long.
WARNING: Upgrading to a version higher than 12.2(58)SE means a mandatory micro-code upgrade. This will take, approximately, 45 heart-stopping minutes.
Make sure you download the same IOS version for both. For the 3750G, make sure you got the IP Services feature set.
The commands to upload the firmware to the stack are:
1. archive download-sw /dest 1 tftp://<TFTP IP address>/3750G_IOS_filename.tar
2. archive download-sw /dest 2 tftp://<TFTP IP address>/3750X_IOS_filename.tar
Hope this helps.
NOTE: Don't forget to read the Release Notes.

View solution in original post

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
"Can I go for there suggested version and upgrade the swicth. I have never seen this kind of stack (different Image)."

What's the suggested version?

Actually you can intermix the original 3750 series with the 3750E and 3750-X series. As the original series is a different architecture, that's why the IOS images are different. However, as the original series has a different architecture, when placed into a stack with the Es and/or Xs, it forces the stack to operate with the original specs (StackWise), which is much less than the later series (StackWisePlus) provides. Also, however, as you only have the two switches, it doesn't really matter much.

"Does it normal or could be risky for upgrade."

It's bit awkward as you cannot upgrade the whole stack with a single command, but with "mixed" stacks it's not abnormal nor much more risky than a non-mixed stack upgrade.

Leo's post provides the detail on how to "do" the upgrade.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Can be done. The upload process will take twice as long.
WARNING: Upgrading to a version higher than 12.2(58)SE means a mandatory micro-code upgrade. This will take, approximately, 45 heart-stopping minutes.
Make sure you download the same IOS version for both. For the 3750G, make sure you got the IP Services feature set.
The commands to upload the firmware to the stack are:
1. archive download-sw /dest 1 tftp://<TFTP IP address>/3750G_IOS_filename.tar
2. archive download-sw /dest 2 tftp://<TFTP IP address>/3750X_IOS_filename.tar
Hope this helps.
NOTE: Don't forget to read the Release Notes.

Thank you for your solution. Now it became simpler for me.

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
"Can I go for there suggested version and upgrade the swicth. I have never seen this kind of stack (different Image)."

What's the suggested version?

Actually you can intermix the original 3750 series with the 3750E and 3750-X series. As the original series is a different architecture, that's why the IOS images are different. However, as the original series has a different architecture, when placed into a stack with the Es and/or Xs, it forces the stack to operate with the original specs (StackWise), which is much less than the later series (StackWisePlus) provides. Also, however, as you only have the two switches, it doesn't really matter much.

"Does it normal or could be risky for upgrade."

It's bit awkward as you cannot upgrade the whole stack with a single command, but with "mixed" stacks it's not abnormal nor much more risky than a non-mixed stack upgrade.

Leo's post provides the detail on how to "do" the upgrade.
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card