Views
Helpful
Replies

Stack Two 2960X-PS-L with SFP cable

remy.borde
Level 1
Level 1

Bonjour,

J'aimerais savoir si il était possible de Stacker deux 2960X, via les ports SFP, entre eux ?

Hello,

I would like to know if it possible to stack two 2960X with SFP cable by using SFP port ?

Sorry for English and thanks for Answer

10 Replies 10

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

If you mean for them to operate as one logical unit, no, standard SFP ports will not support that.

Thank,

That mean you can't connect Two 2960X by SFP port (just connect not stack)

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

No, you can connect them that way, but they will operate as two logical switches.

Can you explain to me how i can do it ?

Disclaimer

Liability Disclaimer

Posting

How?

Like you would normally interconnect two switches using SFP ports.  Have you never used SPF modules?

BTW, if they are close enough to physically stack, you could also interconnect using copper ports.

If I connect SFP cable to SFP port, the console disable port cause :

Description: Gi1/0/25: This port has been disabled because Non Compliant  Gigabit Interface Converter (GBIC) connector detected.

Recommendation: Replace connector with cisco compliant Gigabit Interface Converter (GBIC) connector. Refer switch technical documentation to determine cisco compliant connector. Enable the port again.

I must use this command to force activated SFP port

service unsupported-transceiver
no errdisable detect cause gbic-invalid

Disclaimer

Liability Disclaimer

Posting

Cisco optical ports, by default, will not work with non-Cisco optical modules.  The service unsupported-transceiver is usually all you need.  The other command is another way to avoid the Cisco device from error disabling the port for this condition.

So, I'm a bit confused.  You're saying you still get an error with one of these commands, or are you saying it doesn't work without one of these commands?  If the latter, that's normal.

Sorry for my english :)

All works with the commands, but im little confused and dont really know why I need to use it.

I have two cisco with cisco's cable, i just think to put cable into SFP port and all good.

For finish,if i just need to use command, that what i do so all is good !

Thanks you and really sorry for my bad english !

Disclaimer

Liability Disclaimer

Posting

Yes, you'll need to use one of the commands.  Again, recommend service unsupported-transceiver.

As to why you must use them, it is because Cisco only supports Cisco hardware.  If you use non-Cisco optical modules, and you have a problem, Cisco will tell you to replace with their modules.

Ok, how i can disable the other command 

no errdisable detect cause gbic-invalid

Thx

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card