cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

static smartport macro configuration

gurpreetabdal
Level 1
Level 1

How do I create static smartport macro on Catalyst 2960 & 3750  equivalent to below static smartport macro:

macro name NOT_USED

description UNUSED_PORT

switchport

switchport mode access

switchport access vlan 100

shut

@

I am able to create above smartport macro on Catalyst 3760 & 6500, but not on 2960 & 3750 (see below):

switch(config)#macro ?
  auto    Macro autoexecution settings
  global  Enter global macro configuration

I tried using below document, but this one is not descriptive.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/auto_smartports/15.0_1_se/configuration/guide/asp_cg.html

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
I am able to create above smartport macro on Catalyst 3760 & 6500, but not on 2960 & 3750 (see below):

It's a hidden  command.  You can create like normal and you apply using the command "macro apply NOT_USED".

I have 2960/2960S, 3560E and 3750/3750X/3750E in my fleet and I can create and apply the static macros. 

View solution in original post

12 Replies 12

ankugarg
Level 3
Level 3

Which ios version you are using on 2960 and 3750 ?Also,i think by 3760,you mean 3560 ?..Which ios version you have on this switch ?

it was a typo... i meant 3560.

on 3750:

Cisco IOS Software, C3750E Software (C3750E-IPBASEK9-M), Version 12.2(55)SE1, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

on 2960:

Cisco IOS Software, C2960 Software (C2960-LANBASE-M), Version 12.2(52)SE, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc3)

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

It's a hidden  command.  You can create like normal and you apply using the command "macro apply NOT_USED".

I have 2960/2960S, 3560E and 3750/3750X/3750E in my fleet and I can create and apply the static macros. 

Thanks it works.

Thanks for the ratings.

I forgot to mention that starting with 12.2(50)SE, Cisco has been warning people that the static smartport macros will be deprecated in favour of auto smartport (ASP) so this is the reason why the command to create and apply is a hidden command.

Personally I can't stay away from static SP.  It's very, very handy. 

Hi,

I know this thread is a little bit old.

But I'm working on macros or auto smartports to have an easy way to provide everytime the same config on interfaces on every switch.

Now I tried the "macro name INT-MACRO" command to build my interface config one time and can execute it manually (or 1st level could exeute it on interfaces).

I did some tests with autosmartports and triggers, but currently I am not able to build up useful triggers for all types of our end hosts. It is impossible...

The small solution for that would be to have such templates for interfaces and the admin can add it manually.

The goal would be that I can be sure every port for a printer looks the same.

But if the command "macro name..." is deprecated, is there a way to get the same manually function with auto smartports?

Thanks a lot!

Sven

But if the command "macro name..." is deprecated, is there a way to get the same manually function with auto smartports?

If you know your way around TCL scripting, then yes.

Static Smartport Macro is still available, albiet it's still a hidden command.  I'm currently running the latest IOS around, 15.0(2)SE, and I am still configuring and using Static Smartport Macro.

Until now, I still find it very handy and it gives control to me.

Auto Smartport Macro (sometimes called ASP), unfortunately, is unable to distinguish if a client should be in a Guest VLAN or Corporate VLAN.   Sure, it could detect if you are a printer, Cisco phone, Cisco WAP or another Cisco switch/router.  But that's where the handiness ends.

Thanks for your reply, leolaohoo!

Okay, so I'm still wondering about the way of "hidden command" Cisco took here. But anyway...

I will check this feature in detail if it is useful for us.

One great feature of the ASP is to provide the configuration on a remote server. That is a great idea to be sure having everytime on every device the same config on a, for example, port for a printer.

The problem I see with the "macro name" is that we have to manage around 3000 switches and have around 10 different port configurations. To take care about this 30000 macros seems to be a little bit difficult....

Sven

The problem I see with the "macro name" is that we have to manage around 3000 switches and have around 10 different port configurations. To take care about this 30000 macros seems to be a little bit difficult.... 

This can be achieved by running a script.  This is what we use regularly.  I have >900 LAN switches so we run scripts when we need to change configurations, like introducing Static Smartport Macros.

Hi,

is it possible to describe this TCL scripts a little bit more in detail?

I know not very much about this.

Thanks!

Sven

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card