cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Still Running AS2509-RJ, connection issue with a fixed scanner

KevinWolfe9924
Level 1
Level 1

I am having issues resolving a problem with my AS2509-RJ (using as an Access Server)

I have a fixed scanner plugged into line 1

How do I know if there is traffic going across the line?  Used and Noise when you run a show line command?

Cabling? ... the scanner uses 2 wires on a standard ethernet cable and its standard ethernet to the AS port 1 (line1)

I have also tried a crossover from the patch panel to the AS

Configuration and cabling is the same on the 3 other AS2509-RJs I have in this plant and they work fine.

I have swapped out the AS too.

Thank you for any sort of help I can get for this very old equipment

1 Reply 1

pieterh
VIP
VIP

"Cabling? ... the scanner uses 2 wires on a standard ethernet cable and its standard ethernet to the AS port 1 (line1)"

Just to be clear, the AS port is NOT an ethernet connection, it is a serial connection, 

form this I expect 3 wires (Tx, Rx, Gnd) or 4 wires (Tx+/Tx-,Rx+/Rx-) to be used.

you can use UTP-grade cabling to connect if correct wires are used on both ends.

As it is serial, you need to match the serial speed (baudrate), 7/8 bits, stop bit, parity of the scanner to the AS port settings.

You mention you copied the router config from an existing router, does the scanner also works on the existing router?

if not you may need to configure serial settings on the scanner.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card