cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

STP on ISP Links - Incorrectly Learning ISP Root Bridge

fadilaimy
Level 1
Level 1

We are using a DIA service from our data center provider for out-of-band access to our network gear. They have supplied two links for redundancy and we terminate these on the same layer 2 switch. Since there are redundant links, spanning tree is needed to prevent a loop. Our switch is learning their root bridge via these links, but we do not want this behavior. We have tried filtering the BPDUs, but then their switch blocks the links. 

What is the preferred method of preventing our switch from learning their root bridge in this scenario? 

If we disable STP for this VLAN, would this allow their BPDU to pass transparently back to them over the other link to prevent the loop while not letting our switch learn the root from them? Any negatives?

3 Replies 3

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

What is the preferred method of preventing our switch from learning their root bridge in this scenario? 

When you connect two switches together, based on certain criteria one of them will be the root. In your case, the service provider's switch is the root. The purpose of STP is to prevent a loop. so, if you disable STP, you will see a loop in your network. So, it is not a good idea to disable STP. If you don't want STP to block one of the ports, because you are paying for 2 links, talk to your service provider about creating a Portchannel or link aggregation.

HTH

I agree - we do not want to disable STP. Our network and the provider network should be separate STP domains with each having its own root bridge. Since we both are connecting to switches, what would be the best way to prevent our switches from learning the root bridge from the provider STP domain? That is why I was thinking that disabling it for only that VLAN would allow for their BPDU to pass through our switch transparently. I am just asking if there may be a preferred to way to handle this to keep the STP domains separate.

Do you know what vendor's switch and what model does the provider use?

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card