cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

STP-Switch can't communicate with each other

smartd1011
Level 1
Level 1

I added a STP lab (3 L3 switches)  into my exiting Route Redistribution network lab. I assigned trunk ports to appropriate  Gig. port to create trunk link between switches. I also issued command: spanning-tree vlan 10(20)  to each trunk port. I added a laptop to SW3 and assigned ip address(I don't have default gateway address, so used lo0 5.5.5.5 instead. I think I'm wrong ).

Now, I can't ping from one switch to another(except SW1 to SW2 through R1 and R2). I also can't ping from laptop to any switch or Vise Versa. I tried to debug for a couple of hr. but no luck. 

I attached the topology and config. file. 

I hope someone can help me find a clue.

Thank you!

4 Replies 4

InayathUlla Sharieff
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Can you attach the . Pkt file?

Thank you for the reply. I can't attach the PKT. file(the lab itself). but I give you the topology diagram and config file.

Hi

First of all, the IP address of the default gateway needs to be in the subnet as the PC. Because this IP address is used by the PC to get to subnets outside its own subnet, so it has to find a router (or a Layer 3 switch) that is capable of routing the traffic between subnets. So in your case you need to configure an SVI on switch1 that has the IP adress 13.0.0.1.

You could have an SVI for each VLAN on all the switches. So on Switch1 you have "interface vlan 10" with IP address of 10.0.0.1 and on switch2 you have "interface vlan 10" with ip adress 10.0.0.2, etc...

Then you have some other problems (This error has been done on all switches but this is an example). For example on Switch1 G0/2 you have it configured as a trunk, but on Switch2 G0/1 you have configured it as a routed port. It needs to match on both ends. So the best thing would be to configure Switch2 G0/1 as a trunk port aswell.

If you make the configuration match on both ends of the link I think it would work.

Hi Henrik,

Thank you for the suggestion, and I will keep it in mind.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card