cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Strange setup :: but want to try things with NAT? please confirm if this will work!

game123
Level 1
Level 1

Dears,

I have a simple question and I am amazed to see their setup . My question is below:

site A:  1.1.1.x/24  ( 1.1.1.10 - 1.1.1.100 )

site B: 1.1.1.x/24 also    ( 1.1.1.2 --- 1.1.1.9 ) meaning  they use different IP.

and the diagram is like

SITE A ------- ROUTER A -----(Leased Line)--------------------- ROUTER B -----(Leased Line)---------------------- ROUTER C -----SITE B

now if I make ROUTER C into STATIC NAT

3.3.3.3 ------- 1.1.1.2

3.3.3.4 -------- 1.1.1.3

where  3.3.3.x/24 is between  ROUTER B and ROUTER C   then.................would it be fine for packets from anywhere to reach  the right places and machines without errors ?  [ there is no  duplication on IP, just same network. Also cannot make VPN , just NAT is  possible , pls advice ]

regards,

1 Reply 1

CHAD REID
Level 1
Level 1

Game, based on this setup, I believe you will have complete connectivity for any connections initiated from Site A to Site B. You will not, however, have connectivity for connections initiated from Site B to Site A. For example, let's say that someone at Site B wants to communicate with 1.1.1.100. Router C is going to see that as a local subnet directly connected.

A workaround for this would be to do exactly on Router A as you're doing on Router C. Maybe a 4.4.4.4/24 subnet with static NAT? That is, however, getting rather complicated. If Site B only has a few hosts, you will save lots of headache down the road by changing the subnet to something else.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card