cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Subnet Design for 1 to 1 Initiative

Ryan Dutton
Level 1
Level 1

I work for a K-12 school district that, like many locations, is relying more on client devices accessing the wireless for network access.  There is discussion about going to a 1-to-1 initiative between district assigned devices and student.   As my high schools have an average of 2000 students, I would need to support about 2000 client devices on my wireless network per high school.  Currently, we assign district student devices to use a single SSID which uses a /23 subnet.  This subnet does NOT have multicasting enabled and there are no future plans to enable multicast.  

My solution is to increase the subnet to a /21 or even a /20 subnet mask to support the additional student devices but I'm concerned about creating too large of a broadcast domain on the subnet.  I know it's not a good practice to create additional SSIDs on my wireless access points for the additional planned student devices (I'm currently up to four SSIDs).

Has anybody else set up this configuration in a K-12 environment?  What is the recommended practice to accomplish this?

Thanks.

Ryan.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

It should not be an issue to have a large subnet to accommodate 2000 students. So with 2000 students and each student having a minimum of one device, you will need a /21, but you also have to be able to accommodate some students having more than one device (a phone and a laptop or a phone and an iPad, etc..). So in this case, you would need a /20 to cover all students each with 2 devices.

HTH

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

It should not be an issue to have a large subnet to accommodate 2000 students. So with 2000 students and each student having a minimum of one device, you will need a /21, but you also have to be able to accommodate some students having more than one device (a phone and a laptop or a phone and an iPad, etc..). So in this case, you would need a /20 to cover all students each with 2 devices.

HTH

Thank you for your input, Reza.

I will proceed to plan for a /20 subnet mask as there can be as many as 3000 students per high school.

Have a good day.

Thank you for your input, Reza.

I will proceed to plan for a /20 subnet mask as there can be as many as 3000 students per high school.

Have a good day.

InayathUlla Sharieff
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Agree with Reza. 

Ryan,

Also have a check on the below site which might help you on the addressing part:

https://www.finseth.com/parts/address.php

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card