Views
Helpful
Replies

Subnetting

amh4y0001
Level 3
Level 3

Hi,

General type of question (not specific to cisco products). 

I purchased a Static IP from service provider, can I subnet this public address to get more public IP addresses? 

If possible, D.G Way would be same as provided by ISP or something different?

In other case please confirm if subnetting is not possible.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The provider will advertise the network they gave you, but you can subnet it for your networks.

If the provider gave you /23 you can subnet it to 2 /24s, but you should also contact them and tell them, so they can expect 2 subnets coming from your side.

HTH

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The provider will advertise the network they gave you, but you can subnet it for your networks.

If the provider gave you /23 you can subnet it to 2 /24s, but you should also contact them and tell them, so they can expect 2 subnets coming from your side.

HTH

Hi Reza,

If I understood correct, I can subnet it further. In this case D.G Way will be the same as provided by ISP?

Shall I must involve ISP?

Hi,

Default gateway is usually the IP on their side (that is the /30 between you and the provider).

In addition to that, they give you a public segment to use and you can subnet that further.

If the /30 and the public IP they gave you is on the same subnet than you need to contact the provider and work with them.

HTH

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card