Views
Helpful
Replies

Suitable switches

saulsc
Level 1
Level 1

Hi everyone.

I've recently started working on my own as an IT consultor and I've found myself with the following issue.

I have to recommend a specific model of switches for my client. 1 core switch, 2 10-GbE access switches and 10-1GbE access switches. They have to comply the following specs:

(1x) Core Switch:

• Has to provide uplink for 14 switches redundantly.
  • Layer 3
  • Redundant 10GbE Uplink (Fiber)
  • Supported protocols:
    • HSRP & VRRP
    • EIGRP
    • OSPF & BGP
    • LACP & PAGP
  • Redundancy for:
    • Power supplies
    • Fans
    • Processing cards
    • 10GbE services cards with SFP modules.

(2x) 10GbE Access Switches:

• 24-port 10GbE copper
  • Redundant 10GbE Uplink connection (Fiber)
  • Supported protocols: LACP & PAGP

(12x) 1GbE Access switches:

• 48-port 1GbE Copper
  • Redundant 10GbE Uplink connection (Fiber)
  • Supported protocols: LACP & PAGP

As far as I've read, both HSRP and PAGP protocols are specific for Cisco products.

What I'm trying to figure out is what model of Catalyst switches comply with the requirements above mentioned.

Thanks in advance.

4 Replies 4

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

For core switches, you can use a set of 6800 series switches configured as VSS.

Datasheet

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/switches/catalyst-6880-x-switch/data_sheet_c78-728228.html

With IP service license or enterprise license all protocols are supported.

For 10Gig switches, you can get 24-port Multigigabit Cisco UPOE switch. They come with redundant fan trays and power supplies.

datasheet

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/switches/catalyst-9300-series-switches/data_sheet-c78-738977.html

for 1Gig access switch, you can use the 9300 series switches with 48 port copper and 1Gig uplink modules.

HTH

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Access switches with 24 x 10 Gbps copper:  C9300-24UX with C9300-NM-8X (non PoE model)

Access switches with 48 x 1 Gbps copper:  C9300-48T with C9300-NM-8X (non PoE model)

Core switch:  C9500-16X or C9500-24Y4C

Hello

@Leo Laohoo wrote:

Access switches with 24 x 10 Gbps copper:  C9300-24UX with C9300-NM-8X (non PoE model)

Access switches with 48 x 1 Gbps copper:  C9300-48T with C9300-NM-8X (non PoE model)

Core switch:  C9500-16X or C9500-24Y4C

I wouldn't mind this also?

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

dbeattie
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

The other suggestions are all good, but on a price point I would tend to look at the WS-C4500X-32SFP+ for your cores. The only issue being that since these are fixed format switches they don't have supervisor cards or line cards, but that it why you have two of them. I have used these as campus core for offices of 1000+ users and 10+ 4510s as access (L3 links to access and OSPF over everything), with no significant issues.

Hope this helps.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card