Views
Helpful
Replies

SWitch 3650 || RTU License explanation

magdy fekry
Level 1
Level 1

Dears,

please i need to know why i need to  purchase RTU license , whereas  we can active RTU license offline via CLI command .

Switch# license right-to-use activate ipservices all acceptEULA

Then after reboot the license will be permanent not Evaluation so no expiration time and no need for a Serial no to tie this license with specific device

so why cisco offer this type of license to be purchased ??

4 Replies 4

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

so why cisco offer this type of license to be purchased ? 

because license is not free and Cisco needs to make money.

You can install any license you want, but if you want to own the license legally, you have to purchase it. 

HTH

thanks Reza for your reply , but that mean i can activate RTU License offline via cli command and will be permanent without purchase it but this situation not legal ? but if it's not legal why cisco permit us to run the command

Switch# license right-to-use activate ipservices all acceptEULA

because license is not free and Cisco needs to make money.

RATED!

pkumari4
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello,

For the registration purpose, we need to have the RTU license. Now on the cisco catalyst switches from 16.9 firmware onwards, the smart licensing came into the picture. Where you need to add and map your account as well as license on the cisco license portal (CSSM)

Regards,

Priyanka

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card