Views
Helpful
Replies

Switch Accessability issue

MGamal
Level 1
Level 1

Hello everyone,

I am having a problem with a PH5 Switch that I hope someone here can help me with. When I try to connect to the switch from a client PC, the ping is unstable. However, the switch seems to be working fine, and the traffic is normal.

Interestingly, when I connect to the switch from an M36 switch, the connection is stable. Also, when I try to ping the client PC from the switch, it works without any issues.

I have tried a few troubleshooting steps, such as checking the cable connections, resetting the switch, and verifying the IP address and subnet mask settings. However, the problem persists.

Can anyone suggest what might be causing this issue? I would appreciate any help or insights on this matter.

Thank you in advance for your assistance!

Topology.png

9 Replies 9

Hi @MGamal 

Can I see your PackeTracer project?  zip it and attach here and let me take a look

the packet tracer network is ok , but i have this issue in real topology

Got it.  If ping is unstable I would focus on routing.

Are you using default-gateway or default route on the access switch?  Pining from core does you see ping fail?

MGamal
Level 1
Level 1

i am using default-gateway command in all switches that direct all switches to SVI of managment in core switch int vlan 250,
and ping is unstable either from LOS switch and Core Switch

I would ask you to test with default route instead

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 <gateway>

I had problem  with default-gatewa once. 

Can you share the switche´s core config?

I am sorry for late ,I am preparing configuration files for whole topology , but I have a question , is this issue can be from mismatch of stp mode over the network [pvst $ rapid pvst]despite show spanning-tree vlan 250 command on all switches appear that ports are root in direction to root bridge and situation is normal

Hi @MGamal 

If the problem is related to STP I cannot affirm but surely you should consider run on type of STP only. 

MGamal
Level 1
Level 1

from the problematic switch i can ping core switch
ok i will post conf. files for all switchs

MGamal
Level 1
Level 1

any one have any recommendation to this issue, although this issue is resolved after change whole switch, but appear in another location when replacing 2950 switch with 9200

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card