Views
Helpful
Replies

Switch Authentication encryption

paul dungey
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have 15 switches on two separate sub nets in my organisation that requires a username and password Encryption to be set up, I need help with the correct configurations to lock down the switches from unauthorised access within the organisation and external threats from hackers, scammers, and remote, aux, and console access

I need to set up each switch with the following configurations as well but not sure how

Static IP

Host name

Authentication Banner

I really appreciate your help.

Thank you 

Paul

4 Replies 4

Hello,

you have to decide whether you want to use local authentication or TACACS/RADIUS. Local authentication is fairly simple, just configure a username and password and configure the CON/AUX/VTY with 'login local':

Switch#

username admin privilege 15 password 0 cisco

!

line con 0

login local
line aux 0

login local
line vty 0 4

login local

The authentication banner can be whatever you want. Below is an example ('+' is used as the delimiting character):

Switch#conf t

Switch(config)# banner motd +

* WARNING !!! *

* This system is for the use of authorized users only. *

* Individuals using this network without authority, or in excess of their *

* authority, are subject to legal action. *

Switch(config)#+

As for the static IP address on each switch, it is usually good practice to have a dedicated VLAN other than the default VLAN 1 for management. Basically, you assign an IP address from the same subnet to the management interface of each switch, e.g.:

Switch#

!

interface Vlan 10

ip address 192.168.10.1

Hostnames should somehow make sense and be recognizable within your company, e.g.:

Switch#conf t

Switch(config)#hostname S1_DATA_CORP

Hi Georg,

Thank you for the quick response, my IT manager has decided to just have a username and password when login in to the privilege mode on the switch and does not want to secure CON/AUX/VTY with 'login local god forbid if we ever get hacked.

what would the configuration be to set up a username and password for enable mode.

thanks

Hello,

in that case, use aaa:

1. enable
2. configure terminal
3. aaa new-model
4. aaa authentication login default local
5. aaa authorization exec default local
6. aaa authorization network local
7. username name [privilege level] {password encryption-type password}

line vty 0 4

transport input all

login authentication default --> this line will probably not be visible in the running config...

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card