cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Switches not showing in CNA after upgrade

DLuckman
Level 1
Level 1

Having used Cisco Network assistant to upgrade some of my switches to the newest revision (15.0(2) SE9), although the switch is on-line and I can access via telnet, all of the HTML pages are inaccessible and it shows as off-line in Cisco Network assistant. 

How do I bring back the HTML pages and CNA access after this?

11 Replies 11

Philip D'Ath
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

When upgrading the switches you can use a "*.tar" file to do the upgrade, rather than the *.bin file.  The tar version includes the entire web gui.  You install it using the "archive" command.

I suspect you are gong to have to do this from the command line if the GUI has gone.

It may also be that you need to upgrade your copy of CNA.

I did use a TAR file to do the upgrade through the Cisco Network Assistant upgrade utility.  the HTML folder is showing in the Flash: drive in the switch but I cannot access the web pages and the switch no longer shows up in CNA.  My CNA is version 5.8 (9.1).

I will transfer the TAR file to the switch and see if I can find out how the archive command works to install it.

Thanks,

Dave

Also, just tried transferring the file.  With the current IOS file, plus the TAR file, there is not enough space to extract the TAR to the switch.

Assuming it is the right tar for that switch, that means there are some extra files on that flash that should not be there.

You are leaving the tar file on a tftp/http server aren't you?  The actual tar file is not copied to the router.  You just point the tar file at the tftp server.

I think I would make a copy of the current IOS file on the TFTP server.  Then delete it off the router.  Then extract the tar file.  If the extraction finishes ok, you are fine.

If it doesn't, delete some of what has been extracted, and put the bin file back.

No, I can copied TAR file to switch.  How do I just point to it?  I have tried:

archive /xtract tftp:10.202.26.133 c2960-lanbasek9-mz.150-2.SE9

archive /xtract tftp:10.202.26.133\c2960-lanbasek9-tar.150-2.SE9.tar c2960-lanbasek9-mz.150-2.SE9

archive /xtract ftp:10.202.26.133\c2960-lanbasek9-tar.150-2.SE9.tar c2960-lanbasek9-mz.150-2.SE9

archive /xtract tftp:10.202.26.133/c2960-lanbasek9-tar.150-2.SE9.tar c2960-lanbasek9-mz.150-2.SE9

but always get "%Error opening tftp:10.202.26.133 (Invalid IP address or hostname)"

As you can see from above I have tried both FTP and TFPT and get same error, but this is same server I used to copy file so I know both FTP and TFTP are working.

archive /xtract tftp://10.202.26.133/c2960-lanbasek9-tar.150-2.SE9.tar

So this has re-extracted all of the files, however even after a switch re-load, I am not seeing the switch in CNA (Still shows off-line).  Switch is up and showing new IOS, just CNA is not working and web pages are not working.

On the plus side - we now know that everything that can be installed has been.

CNA is up to version 6.  Can you upgrade to that?

https://software.cisco.com/download/release.html?mdfid=286277276&flowid=70623&softwareid=280775097&release=6.2.0&relind=AVAILABLE&rellifecycle=&reltype=latest

Have that version on my laptop.  Have also installed now on desktop.  Same issue.  devices still not showing up in CNA. 

Try going through this guide again to configure the device for Cisco CNA.  I can only think that the upgrade has "undone" something on the switch.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/net_mgmt/cisco_network_assistant/version5_0/quick/guide/English/gsg_en/C4K_GSG.html

Had a look through this.

The IP Server and IP Secure server were already configured as on, had previously tried turning them off and on to see if that made a difference.  Didn't seem to.

This is not being run in a community or a cluster so not sure what else I can check.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card