cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Switches SFP + Ports

The_Bear
Level 1
Level 1

Could I use the SFP+ ports on  switches with Ethernet cables? To add more SFP+ ports, would I need to use a module for the switch? 

10 Replies 10

Seb Rupik
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi there,

It would be useful to know what models these L2 and L3 switches are. Since you mention they all have SFP+ interfaces, I would be surprised if they didn't have stacking modules. This would give greater bandwidth that daisy chaining and having STP blocked links within the 'stack'.

As for using up the SFP+ ports on the L3 switch. This is all part of sizing your core/ distribution switches. Once you run out of SPF+ ports you either add another switch to the stack or linecard to chassis to increase your port density at that location.

cheers,

Seb.

The L3 switch is: Meraki MS390 48P L3 Stackable 

and the L2 switches are: Meraki MS125-48FP 

I am not familiar with the Meraki switches but looking at the datasheet, it appears that they are fixed switches, meaning there is no room to add additional ports. So, what you can do it connect the L2 switches together and than uplink one or two L2 switches to the L3 switches. If you run out of ports for connecting L3 switches together and the distance between L3 switches is less than 100 meters, you can use one or 2 copper ports for that purpose.

HTH

For the L3 switch there is an optional Meraki MS390 Uplink Module which you can buy which can have up to 8 x 10G SFP+. Would I need to buy this to make more SFP+ ports?

That is correct. You would need to buy the 8 port 10Gig module and the optics for the L3 switch for all the uplinks coming from L2 switches. If the distance is less than 500 meters between l2 and l3 switches, you can use multi-mode optics but if it is more than that, you would need single-mode optics. Obviously, you have to have the right fiber in place for each solution.

HTH

can I connect a server which has a 10Gb port and another server with a 10GbE port to the SFP+ ports on the switch via fiber?

can I connect a server which has a 10Gb port and another server with a 10GbE port to the SFP+ ports on the switch via fiber?

Yes, the uplink ports can be used for anything you want. Most of the time they are used for connecting switches together but can you also use them for servers if needed. 

HTH

I wasn't sure if you had to convert the 10GbE port from the server to SFP+ to use it on the SFP+ switch?

Hello again,

Cisco does not sell any 10GbE SFP+ transceivers. If you needed to connect a 10GbE server interface, then you would need to purchase one of a few switches/ chassis+linecards that provide that interface type, eg: WS-C3850-24XU

cheers,

Seb.

If you only have one or 2 servers, you can use a couple of media converters to convert from copper (servers) to fiber (switch) but If you have a slot of servers, that is not a good solution .The products from this company are pretty reliable.

https://www.transition.com/lines/media-converters-extenders-nids/

HTH

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card