Replies

Switchport in Errdisable

Nick.Chatz
Level 1
Level 1

Switchport in errdisable between xxxxxxxsw1 and xxxxxxxsw5 -

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Yes I have to get people to so it for me in remote offices the odd time , its a straight plug and play should come back up as no config changing under the interface  , just might need the access incase it triggers an errdisable when it first goes in but it shouldn't , if there not technical I would just control it from your end if you have the access

Also is there anything else needed in order to provide to the team who will change it like serial or something? some special command or so ?

depends , if you still have access to it from a remote perspective when that link is down then no as you can check as soon as its swapped out and working by using the show int x/x  

View solution in original post

15 Replies 15

Mark Malone
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

There should be a log for the rr-disable can you post it , in show logs , is that why it went err-disable due to the SFP not STP or something else  

does the sfp work in another port other than 24 ? or in the other switch does the inventory see it ?

are both switches running the same code ? and are both sfps the same version on the back of it ?

Thanks for the quick response Mark.

I am attaching the sanitized show logs.

sw1 logs show nothing of port24 or the err-disable , if you can answer the other questions it may narrow down what the issue is with the SFP

and what type of switch is this and what type of sfp

does the sfp work in another port other than 24 ?--> client has tested the same SFP in the other switch were it was instantly readable

in the other switch does the inventory see it ? in the other switch yes the SFP can be seen in the inventory

are both switches running the same code ?yes

both sfps the same version on the back of it ? yes for achieving an homogeneous and high availability result regarding troubleshooting.

If something specific is needed ( certain command ) that might help you let me know in order to proceed.

ok cool so we know the sfp is good , you know the ios code is good as its on both switches , usually its software related or version related when it comes to sfps not working , we have had a few issues with certain sfp , zx , LHs and glc-ts on asrs and 4000  series isrs and it was either the version was too old on the sfp or the software had issues supporting it

you may have a hardware issue on the switch as the code is working with the sfp on the other switch ,, the fact the switch cant see it at inventory level is an issue but could still be software related

I would try even though its fine on the other switch , upgrade the code first on the switch where the inventory is not working and see if it takes it then , if not I would be looking to get it replaced

one other thing I would try is a totally different type sfp in the same port 24 and see if it reads that , you may have just triggered a particular bug for that platform for that type of sfp it happens trust me on that im on my 3rd code version on ASR 1001xs as we had so many compatibility issues  :)  but also you may have not hit it yet on the other switch

Awesome and detailed follow-up.

Upgrading the code is not that easy as i am supporting the environment where i have no access ( ! ) and the client is not eager to proceed in any upgrades unless he has the most solid information and proof ever.

So for the time i can only provide advises and instructions hence why i asked if you need me to execute any command that might help us.

P.S the customer tried 3 new SFP's ( sealed package ) and none was readable but by miracle the old one was again working.

Yes unfortunately when the inventory is not even seeing it there's not much you can check in syntax as the platform hasn't even registered it , if it sees it in hardware inventory but doesn't respond on the port there is a few commands to check alright but were not getting that far yet :) , that last bit about the 3 new sfps really starting to think its software related but sure all you can is advise the end decision is theres

Will keep monitoring it and if it happens again as there are some SFP's will give it a try and if we dont get anything working could it be at the end the switch itself?

always upgrade the software before replacing the switch , but yes it could be hardware too

Hey all again ,

Hi

Yes 1st thing I would do is replace the gbic , they do go faulty time to time

Is it rather easy to be replaced? are they like SFP pretty much plug and play kinda of function?

I am asking as i have no physical access to the switch and i will have to coordinate the technical team mentioning this is broken go and replace it .

Also is there anything else needed in order to provide to the team who will change it like serial or something? some special command or so ?

In any case Mark you are awesome and many thanks for the help

Yes I have to get people to so it for me in remote offices the odd time , its a straight plug and play should come back up as no config changing under the interface  , just might need the access incase it triggers an errdisable when it first goes in but it shouldn't , if there not technical I would just control it from your end if you have the access

depends , if you still have access to it from a remote perspective when that link is down then no as you can check as soon as its swapped out and working by using the show int x/x  

Hello

You didn't state the errdisable cause 

"sh int  x/x status errdisablle"

Have you check the cabling and if possible delete the port channel and default the physical interfaces and test with a single connection  between the switches without PC

res

paul

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card