cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Two Access Mode Port Channels on 3750 Stack?

cscheper1
Level 1
Level 1

I'm trying to connect to two servers each with a pair of gig bonded NICs.  I have set up two port channels, 14 and 15 - switchport mode access for VLAN 14.

I assign 2 gig interfaces each to the port channels.  When I do a show run, the 'switchport access vlan 14' only show up in the config for the pair of interfaces in the first port channel.  Config and sho run output below.  What am I doing wrong?  Can you only access port channel a vlan once?  Can I just use port channel 14 for all 4 gig interfaces?

int po14
desc to Ahsay
switchport mode access
switchport access vlan 14

int gi1/0/17
desc to Ahsay
channel-gr 14 mode passive

int gi1/0/18
desc to Ahsay
channel-gr 14 mode passive 

int po15
desc to Ahsay
switchport mode access

int gi2/0/17
desc to Ahsay
channel-gr 15 mode passive

int gi2/0/18
desc to Ahsay
channel-gr 15 mode passive

interface GigabitEthernet1/0/17
description To Ahsay
channel-group 14 mode passive
!
interface GigabitEthernet1/0/18
description To Ahsay
channel-group 14 mode passive

interface GigabitEthernet2/0/17
description To Ahsay
channel-group 15 mode passive
!
interface GigabitEthernet2/0/18
description To Ahsay
channel-group 15 mode passive

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Since you have 2 different servers, you need 2 different Portchannels. (po14 for one server with 2 1Gig links and po15 with 2 1Gig links). You can put vlan 14 in both Portchannles.  Your config looks correct.

Are the po in up and up mode?

What is the output of sh ether-ch summ?

HTH

View solution in original post

I'm guessing the vlan not showing up in the show run for the 2/0/17-18 interfaces is they are noy up yet.

That should not be the case.  The config should show up regardless of the po being up or down.

You can try deleting vlan 14 from po15 and add it again. If that does not work and the interfaces don't inherit the config from the po, you may need to add vlan 14 manually to both physical interfaces that belong to po 15.

HTH

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Since you have 2 different servers, you need 2 different Portchannels. (po14 for one server with 2 1Gig links and po15 with 2 1Gig links). You can put vlan 14 in both Portchannles.  Your config looks correct.

Are the po in up and up mode?

What is the output of sh ether-ch summ?

HTH

I am still waiting on my SysAdmin to do the Server Voodoo. The po is up/down(suspended). Thanks for the sanity check. I'm guessing the vlan not showing up in the show run for the 2/0/17-18 interfaces is they are noy up yet.

I'm guessing the vlan not showing up in the show run for the 2/0/17-18 interfaces is they are noy up yet.

That should not be the case.  The config should show up regardless of the po being up or down.

You can try deleting vlan 14 from po15 and add it again. If that does not work and the interfaces don't inherit the config from the po, you may need to add vlan 14 manually to both physical interfaces that belong to po 15.

HTH

That did it. ...allowed vlan remove 14/...allowed vlan add 14 fixed it.

I'm guessing you've seen this before :-) Thanks for the help!

I'm guessing you've seen this before :-) Thanks for the help!

Yes, many times. Sometimes it is easier (like in your case) than other times. Sometimes you have to remove the po and add it again.  Glad everything is working for you now and good luck!

HTh

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card