Views
Helpful
Replies

Two switches, two trunks

jcopley01
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I hope this isn't doubling up somewhere.  A few minutes ago I posted a discussion but after clicking the Post Discussion button my post wasn't posted!

I have a site with two switches; a CE520 and a C2960.

The switches have two trunks between them as so:

one trunk configured with native vlan 100 (voice vlan) on both ends
    one trunk with native vlan 1 on the CE520 port and 100 on the 2960 port - this is generating vlan mismatch erros

I assume whoever set it up perhaps wanted two trunks with two different native vlans.  Only two vlans are used, 1 for the PC network and 100 for our voice (Cisco IP phones).

Is there any benefit to this?  Are two trunks between just two switches totally redundant? Should I match the vlans on the mismatched ports

The network is running fine otherwise.

thanks

Justin

2 Replies 2

petenixon
Level 3
Level 3

You should definitely match the native vlan on both ends of the trunk ports, and good practice dictates that the native vlan should be something other than vlan1.

There are reasons for having two separate trunks for vlan traffic and largely depends on your environment. However there is no reason why you couldn't bundle both links into an etherchannel and carry all your vlans across it.

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

Normally, the only reason to have two different distinct trunk links between switches would be to manage traffic for specific VLANs across each link.  For example, in your case, perhaps the intention was to guarantee one trunk link's bandwidth for VoIP.  This might make sense if one of your switches cannot support QoS.

Another possible reason might be for redundancy, if one of your switches doesn't support Etherchannel.

That said, from what you've described, I think it more likely whoever set up these two trunks wasn't really sure about what they were doing as using VLAN 1 for users is considered a poor practice, generally you don't need to reconfigure native VLANs on trunks, you have the native VLAN mismatch on one trunk, etc.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card