cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Typical Power Usage - 9404's and 9407 switches

jbnc135
Level 1
Level 1

I have yet to see a Cisco switch use as much power as it is rated (Eg. 3200 watts or 16 amps). What would you say is the typical amp draw on 9407 and 9407 switches? Can you give a % of total rating? Is it more like 25%?

Is the power equally divided between all four power supplies? Or maybe just two and two in reserve?

I am asked this all the time and people freak out because they think I am about to overload the PDU, but again I never plan on the max rating for daily use. I have just never seen that much power draw from a switch.

1 Reply 1

pieterh
VIP
VIP

about redundacy, below an extract from: 

System Management Configuration Guide, Cisco IOS XE Fuji 16.9.x (Catalyst 9400 Switches) - Environmental Monitoring and Power Management [Support] - Cisco

Power Supply Modes

Cisco Catalyst 9400 Series Switches offer combined and redundant configuration modes for power supplies.

Combined Mode

This is the default power supply mode.

The system operates on one to eight power supplies. All available power supplies are active and sharing power and can operate at up to 100 percent capacity.

Available power in the combined mode is the sum of the individual power supplies.

Redundant Mode

In a redundant configuration, a given power supply module can be either active, or in standby mode, and switch to active when required.

You can configure an n+1 or an n+n redundant mode.

• n+1 redundant Mode—n number of power supply modules are active (n can be one to seven pput ower supply modules). +1 is the power supply module reserved for redundancy.

The default standby power supply slot is PS8. Specify a standby slot, by entering the power redundancy-mode redundant n+1 standby-PSslot command.

• n+n redundant Mode—n number of power supplies are active and n number of power supply modules are configured as standby.

The default standby slots for this mode are PS5 through PS8. Specify the standby slots, by entering the power redundancy-mode redundant n+n standby-PSslots command.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card