cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Unable to access router remotely

Gregory Forster
Level 1
Level 1

I have a 2951 router at a satellite office and I am trying to access it directly from my desktop in the corp HQ. I am able to SSH into the core switch in the satellite office with no problem, but when I try to ssh to the router it does not work. I am able to ssh from the core switch in the satellite office with no issues. I can also traceroute and ping the router from my corp HQ network with no issues. Does anyone have any suggestions?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

If you are not able to connect to it from your desk but can connect from the core switch then there maybe a route missing from the core switch to that router. It may also be that the 2951 router does not have route back to your desk subnet. On the 2951 do a "sh ip route" and see if you can find the subnet for your desktop in the routing table.

HTH

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

If you are not able to connect to it from your desk but can connect from the core switch then there maybe a route missing from the core switch to that router. It may also be that the 2951 router does not have route back to your desk subnet. On the 2951 do a "sh ip route" and see if you can find the subnet for your desktop in the routing table.

HTH

B.kablawi90
Level 1
Level 1

It seems a routing issue. First you need to make sure if your can ping the remote router from HQ, if you can't ping it, check the default gateway of the remote router if it was ok, then check the routing of your core switch.

If you can ping the remote router from the HQ and still unable to connect, then check the applied access ACL of the router.

Hi

If you are able to ping and the traceroute completed the hops, it looks like your IP address or network is not allowed into the ACL associated to the access-class under the Line VTY. Or there is a filtering for SSH between HQ and Satellite.

>> Marcar como útil o contestado, si la respuesta resolvió la duda, esto ayuda a futuras consultas de otros miembros de la comunidad. <<

Hello

It more like as suggested by others down to filtering , Have you tried telnet as well as ssh?

On a side note, Are you able to access this routers its directly connected neighbor, if so you may be able to gain L2 access and then check its configuration?

res
Paul

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

, Are you able to access this routers its directly connected neighbor,?

res

paul

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

Gregory Forster
Level 1
Level 1

Gentlemen,

All of the answers here are great and would help out. Unfortunately the issue is the site is configured so complex that I am going to have to redesign the network in order to resolve this issue. I thank you all for the help.

Greg

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card