cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Unable to add Router to Layer 2 Multicast platform

Drew
Level 1
Level 1

I have a layer 2 network configure for multicast traffic. 

1. I have two switches --3750.   Switch1 is the core switch and switch 2 is trunked from switch 1. 

2. the multicast server is connected to switch 2 via and access port in a vlan...Lets say vlan 5

3. switch 1(core) has various vlans configured on it, to include vlan 5.  The multicast server has an IP in the vlan 5 network and the port on switch 2 is in vlan 5.  Now, because these switches are igmp enabled no need to put PiM protocol.  I just enabled Multicast-Routing on both.

4.  I have a receiver who is in vlan 5 and is able to View the multicast traffic on either switch as long as its assigned to vlan 5.

AT THIS POINT ALL IS WELL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

*******BEFORE I ADD ANYTHING ELSE NOTE THAT THIS WAS CONFIGURED AS ROUTER ON A STICK WITH SUBINF ON THE ROUTER WITH VLAN 5*****************WORKED WELL BUT IM TRYING TO REMOVE ALL LAYER 2 FUNCTION OFF THE ROUTER, IF POSSIBLE.

Problem:

With the same setup I want to add the router to the multicast tree so that the ports on the router will participate and I can add a switch to the router and a receiver can access the multicast traffic. 

1.  on switch 1 added ip routing and made one of the ports a routed port to the router.  so switch port gi1/0/24 and router port gi0/0 are now in the same /29 network.

2. I have enabled PIM Dense-mode on both ports: gi1/0/24 and Rtr gi0/0.  I have also added ip igmp join for my multicast address.

3. On the router I have enabled multicast-routing.   I have also added ip igmp join for my multicast address on gi0/0

4. I repeated the same on gi0/1: PIM dense, ip igmp join,  multicast-routing, and Ipaddr to another network.   this is where I want to add another switch.  but at the moment I have a test laptop running VLC to receive the traffic to no avail.

Im not even sure if this is possible but I wanted to reach out to see if this is even possible since the Mserver is on a switch this time as oppose to have  a multicast server on the router casting down to the switches.

I also tried adding ip igmp snooping quirer on the router .. still a no go..

Any advice!!!!! thanks

19 Replies 19

Jamie Shoup
Level 4
Level 4

I'd post this in a different discussion forum as this one is for Cisco Press questions/discussions. Thanks best of luck!

thanks. this is my first time posting.  Where is the best place to place and how.  im struggling here.  thanks

So sorry, but Feedback Forum forum is as inappropriate as Cisco Press one. You should read forum description before posting.

Moved into appropriate forum, e.g. LAN, Switching and Routing

Thanks

got it.

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

It's not clear whether the core switch is routing or you are just using subinterfaces on the router.

When you say you have enabled multicast routing but not PIM you need PIM for it work ie. if you need to route the multicast traffic between vlans/IP subnets you need PIM.

If you just want multicast within the same vlan then yes you don't need PIM but then you don't need to enable multicast routing either, but you would need the IGMP querier.

If the client is sending an IGMP request you should not need to add "ip igmp join-group .." commands anywhere, it should work with just multicast routing and PIM.

So can you clarify exactly what you are trying to do in terms of whether you want to route the multicast or is it in the same vlan and also where the vlans are being routed.

Jon

jon thanks for the reply.

First, as good practice I enable IP multicast-routing on all my device because we continually add switches so I just add that in my configs but yes you are right I don't need it for layer2 Mcast.

Right now I am routing Mcast in 1 vlan which is vlan 5.  So all the devices and users are in vlan 5.  Everything is functioning properly.  What I want to do is throw a router in the mix therefore allowing it to participate in multicast as well.  3925-gi0/0 is connected to sw1 via a routed port I created on sw1.  at this point ive placed dense mode on sw1 int gi1/0/24 as awell as gi0/0 on the router. 

NOTE: I know is I added other vlans I would have to enable PIM under the SVI ie  int vlan 5, int vlan 10 etc...correct.. this would allow users from other networks on the switchs to query the mcast group

sw1

int gi1/0/24

//uplink to router//

ip addr 2.2.2.2    x.x.x.248

ip Pim Dense mode

Rtr1

IP ROUTING

IP MULTICAST-ROUTING

!

int gi0/0

//DOWNLINK TO SW1//

ip addr 2.2.2.1  /29

ip pim dense mode 

int gi0/1

//test laptop with VLC ip 3.3.3.2 /29//

ip addr 3.3.3.1 /29

ip pim Dense mode

thanks

Okay so you want your test laptop to receive the multicast stream ?

Firstly remove any "ip igmp join-group ..." commands on any interfaces you have if you haven't already.

Secondly have you enabled PIM on the SVI for vlan 5 ?

If you have then check that the TTL in the multicast stream.  It needs to be at least 3 to get to the laptop.

Jon

so, just removed all Joins from the router interfaces.  My mcast server TTL is 155 default.  But I ran a couple command on the router. 

pim neighbor - good / sh ip mroute (info popped up / ip igmp int - good / sh ip igmp gro - good

but when I did sh ip igmp snooping mrouter on the router I got nothing even thou the interface are config with PIM on them. 

next, on my switch im unable to add pim to my SVI do to my model but I can add the global command >ip igmp snooping quierer---------on my switch when I do show ip igmp snooping mrouter vlan 5 10 20 show up (just other vlans I have on the switch)

still no stream to my laptop connected to rtr gi0/1

If you cannot run PIM on the switch then you will not be able to route the traffic to the router.

You say you have enabled PIM on the routed port on the switch, is that correct ?

But you can't enable it on an SVI on the same switch ?

Jon

So I added Pim passive to vlan 20 prior to your mention but I added it to vlan 5 and now my laptop is connected to sw1 and vlan 20 and its receiving the stream.  YUP!!!!!!!!!!! From this I now how to add other vlans on the switch to the stream>>>>>>>>>>>NOW back to the router

You are correct I can only add the PIM Dense Mode to the routed port I configured on the Sw gi1/0/24 not the SVI only IP PIM PASSIVE 

UPDATE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WE GOT A STREAM TO ROUTER PORT GI0/1.  YUP....

I went back and connected my laptop to my router gi0/1 and bigeorge video came right up.   So now I have to understand PIM Passive because this is the only change we added to vlan 5 on the switch.  Plus I added it to vlan 20 and now we got streams everywhere. 

Thanks so much.  I knew it could be done, I just needed a little more guidance.  That's what makes networking fun...

Andrew

No problem, glad you got it working.

Jon

Jon,

let me know if this sounds correct.  Because we locked mcast to vlan 5 no one outside that network was going to receive any streams.  With pim passive on the vlan that allows the mcast traffic to be sent and received on other interfaces.  But, I thought PIM on an interface will allow mcast traffic for the whole device the connect via that interface.  Thanks

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card