cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

up/down alerts with a device issue

comn8u2011
Level 1
Level 1

I have a time clock on the network that keeps triggering up and down alerts in solarwinds.  When you do a sh arp on the switch, the device is showing "Incomplete".  Other devices on the same 3560 switch, and on the same vlan, are operating normally.  When I try to ping the time clock, it times out.  I changed out the time clock with another time clock that was the exact same make and model and it eventually does the same thing with the up/down alerts.  The IP, subnet mask, and default gateway are correct.  I have 7 other time clocks that are the same make/model and they operate as normal.  I changed out the cable and punched it down to a new slot on the patch panel, but the same up/down alerts persist.  During the day, the time clock works, but after a certain time it starts triggering the up/down alerts.  I'm kind of at a loss of what to do.  Two different vendors of mine believe something or someone on the network is causing this to happen.  I had WhatsUpGold before solarwinds and the same up/down occurred.  Does anyone have any tips on what to check next?  Just shooting from the hip, is there any software that could cause this behavior in a device?

1 Reply 1

Charles Hill
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Is the port configured with spanning-tree portfast?

If not, try adding "spanning-tree portfast" to the port.

Hope this helps

Please rate helpful posts

Thanks

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card