Views
Helpful
Replies

Upgdate IOS Cisco catalyst 2960S

John Bot
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I'm new in cisco switches and I have to upgrade current IOS CISCO Catalyst 2960S but first of all i want backup current ISO. So i used in cli: sh ver and i saw this:

System image file is "flash:/c2960s-universalk9-mz.122-55.SE3/c2960s-universalk9-mz.122-55.SE3.bin"

In many cases what i saw in internet the IOS bin was in flash directory (flash:/). Is it normal situation and how backup IOS and update?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Seb Rupik
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi there,

That boot variable indicates that archive download-sw command was used on a TAR file to install the currently running IOS. As such the .bin file is in a directory of the same name.

It is perfectly fine to copy the .bin file to flash: and update the boot var accordingly.

However using the universal image TAR file and the archive download-sw command gives you some additional arguments to help with software installations and would be my recommendation even if it is to just the /image-only flag.

To backup the image simply use the command:

copy flash:/c2960s-universalk9-mz.122-55.SE3/c2960s-universalk9-mz.122-55.SE3.bin tftp:

...or some other destination location/service of your choosing.

cheers,

Seb.

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Seb Rupik
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi there,

That boot variable indicates that archive download-sw command was used on a TAR file to install the currently running IOS. As such the .bin file is in a directory of the same name.

It is perfectly fine to copy the .bin file to flash: and update the boot var accordingly.

However using the universal image TAR file and the archive download-sw command gives you some additional arguments to help with software installations and would be my recommendation even if it is to just the /image-only flag.

To backup the image simply use the command:

copy flash:/c2960s-universalk9-mz.122-55.SE3/c2960s-universalk9-mz.122-55.SE3.bin tftp:

...or some other destination location/service of your choosing.

cheers,

Seb.

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

@John Bot wrote:

i want backup current ISO.

Go to the Cisco website and download the existing IOS.

@John Bot wrote:

System image file is "flash:/c2960s-universalk9-mz.122-55.SE3/c2960s-universalk9-mz.122-55.SE3.bin"

Gahhh!  You want a "backup" of 12.2(55)SE3?  WHY?  It's not stable enough to keep. 

IOS Upgrade on Catalyst Switches 2900, 3500 and 3700 - Easy as Pi

Ok got the current IOS and i have another little question: in web gui's cisco switch i have update option. So you suggest update from cli or by www?

CLI everytime. The webGUI is pretty flaky!

I can't find supportet ios verios for my model WS-C2960S-48TS-S. Website suggesting me 15.0.2-SE11 but in supported hardware list i don't see WS-C2960S-48TS-S.

https://software.cisco.com/download/home/282867582/type/280805680/release/15.0.2-SE11

...that is the recommended version for your specific switch.

Thank you.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card