Views
Helpful
Replies

Upgrading 4507 from 12 to 15 with SSO?

JonathanBerg712
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I've been trying to find some information about this, but it's been unclear.  I know when I upgrade our 4500 chasis with an active/standby supervisor, it can be done without disruption or with minimal disruption.  An article I found displays a 4507 being updated with new IOS code, then each supervisor is restarted 1 at a time to allow for the code to be upgraded.  Then when the first supervisor comes online, a redundancy force-switchover is performed to activate the supervisor with the new code, then the upgrade is completed on the other supervisor.  The article tells me that with the code mismatch, it should still come up in SSO mode / Standy Hot in order to prevent any disruption.  Apparently, for my attempt, that's not the case.  When the first supervisor was restarted, it installed the new code just fine, but it never with to SSO / Standby Hot.  It was in RPR / Standby Cold.  Now I'm trying to upgrade my 4500's from 12.2(54)SG1 to 15.0(2)SG10.  Did I miss something during this process?  It seems relatively simple, but I can't follow through without some possible disruption for this upgrade.  Or is it just that upgrading between 12 and 15, you can't have a hot standby.  Versions are too far apart maybe?

JB

3 Replies 3

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

If you are talking about upgrading using FSU or eFSU then I'd say, don't even think about it.  Some of the guys who I work with calls eFSU/FSU as "effectively F@ck Sh1t Up".

Try this method: 

1.  Copy the IOS into the active supervisor card:  copy tftp://<TFTP IP address>/filename.bin bootflash:

2.  Copy the IOS into the hot standby supervisor card:  copy tftp://<TFTP IP address>/filename.bin slavebootflash:

3.  Change the bootstring:  

boot system flash bootflash:new_IOS.bin

boot system flash bootflash:old_IOS.bin

4.  Save the config. 

5.  Force the active supervisor card to hand over to hot standby (the active supervisor card will reboot):  Redundancy force

Note:  By this stage, the cards will switch roles, i. e.  the ACTIVE supervisor card will now be hot standby and the hot standby card will now be ACTIVE. 

6.  Once the hot standby card (now running the new IOS) is ready, for the switchover again.  

Leo, I do get to that point.  Once i perform a force switchover to let the new.  The first switchover does fine, then once the first supervisor comes back online with the new code, it never goes into a hot standby state.  And I'm wondering if that's because of the code mismatch.  The state is in a cold standby state which another cisco article states that switching over would take it down for at least 2 minutes. 

And I'm wondering if that's because of the code mismatch. 

That could be one reason.  

Console into the supervisor card and reboot it.  Post the entire bootup process.  I'm trying to eliminate something sinister.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card