cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Upgrading a Supervisor 2T, 6807-XL

vmiragli
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I have a customer with a VSS pair of 6807-XL, each chassis with dual supervisor 2T.

They want to upgrade from 15.2.1SY to 15.5.1SY.  This brings up multiple questions.

I don't know if they have a VS-SUP2T-10G or a VS-S2T-10G, because of bug CSCua96236.  I can likely find out from the account team, but is there another way to interrogate the device to find out?  Can a SUP2T even run in a 6800?

Also I'm reasonably sure that attempting ISSU is a bad idea, but can the upgrade be done in one step (after an FPLD upgrade)?

Thanks.

3 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

Can a SUP2T even run in a 6800?

Yes, not an issue  at all. 

Also I'm reasonably sure that attempting ISSU is a bad idea, but can the upgrade be done in one step (after an FPLD upgrade)?

I would not use ISSU. You can do it in one step, but I would go the traditional way.

HTH

View solution in original post

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

@vmiragli wrote:
but is there another way to interrogate the device to find out?
show module switch 1
show module switch 2

@vmiragli wrote:
They want to upgrade from 15.2.1SY to 15.5.1SY.

Read the Release Notes to 15.5(1)SY very, very, very carefully because the for the latest version, 15.5(1)SY5, may require a manual FPGA upgrade to the associated line cards.  
And here is the kicker:  The command option ("gold") to perform the FPGA upgrade to the line card is a "hidden" command.  This bit of information is not mentioned anywhere.
Another thing, the FPGA upgrade will take around 15 minutes -- and yes, this information is also not mentioned anywhere else.  

@vmiragli wrote:
Is there a chart that says what ROM versions can be upgraded? 

Sup2T only has one ROMMON release, 12.2(50r)SYS4.  Even if the publicly-released Release Notes doesn't specify, upgrading to this version will save valuable time in the future. 

@vmiragli wrote:
The documentation effort on this product is awful.

There, FTFY.  

7 Replies 7

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

Can a SUP2T even run in a 6800?

Yes, not an issue  at all. 

I would not use ISSU. You can do it in one step, but I would go the traditional way.

HTH

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

@vmiragli wrote:
but is there another way to interrogate the device to find out?
show module switch 1
show module switch 2

@vmiragli wrote:
They want to upgrade from 15.2.1SY to 15.5.1SY.

Read the Release Notes to 15.5(1)SY very, very, very carefully because the for the latest version, 15.5(1)SY5, may require a manual FPGA upgrade to the associated line cards.  
And here is the kicker:  The command option ("gold") to perform the FPGA upgrade to the line card is a "hidden" command.  This bit of information is not mentioned anywhere.
Another thing, the FPGA upgrade will take around 15 minutes -- and yes, this information is also not mentioned anywhere else.  

I did catch that in the release notes, thank you.

Great little pearl of wisdom on the 'gold' command.  The documentation effort on this product is awful.

Cheers.

You need at first to check the ROM software version . Based on the ROM software version you can take a decison if you can upgrage to the requierd IOS or not.

Ok good.  Is there a chart that says what ROM versions can be upgraded?   The release notes only mention that OBFL may not work for certain new cards until after the upgrade.

@vmiragli wrote:
Is there a chart that says what ROM versions can be upgraded? 

Sup2T only has one ROMMON release, 12.2(50r)SYS4.  Even if the publicly-released Release Notes doesn't specify, upgrading to this version will save valuable time in the future. 

@vmiragli wrote:
The documentation effort on this product is awful.

There, FTFY.  

Sound advice.  Thx.

Cheers.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card