Views
Helpful
Replies

Upgrading Line Cards - 4510R-E

def101010
Level 1
Level 1

Hi there,

As part of a new project,  I have a requirement to upgrade some line cards in our 4510R-E chassis to ease some oversubscription due to the 6Gbps limit.

At the moment my plan is to upgrade three cards from WS-X4548-GB-RJ45 to X4648 to get the 24Gbps per card.

Supervisors are 6-E

1. Is this a viable plan?

2. If so can the cards be hot-swapped?

3. Would the new cards retain the existing interface settings of the previous cards?

4. Any gotchas to look out for?

Any help on the above points would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Ed

4 Replies 4

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

1. Is this a viable plan?

Yes, Sup 6-E supports X4648 line card. (table-3 in this link:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst4500/hardware/configuration/notes/OL_25315.pdf

In addition to adding the hardware, you also need to to know what IOS supports this line card and the sup.

2. If so can the cards be hot-swapped?

For this type of change, I plan on having an outage. Down the switch, swap modules, upgrade IOS (if you need to) and then check to make sure every thing is working and connectivity is established.

3. Would the new cards retain the existing interface settings of the previous cards?

It depends, if you have to upgrade the IOS, most commands should stay the same, but there are always exception. So you would need to check your config.

4. Any gotchas to look out for?

Before you upgrade your IOS, make sure to read the release notes for that version and watch out for software bugs that may effect your environment.

Good Luck

HTH

Hi Reza

Thanks for coming back on those points, much appreicated.

One more question, on the doc you posted for the WS-X4648-RJ45-E it says:

"You need a Supervisor Engine 7-E to

support more than 240 ports on the

Catalyst 4510R-E and Catalyst 4510R+E

switch chassis"

Does that mean 240 ports of X4648 or 240 total across the whole chassis. We'll still have some X4548 cards remaining and will need to use more than 240 total.

Hope that makes sense.

Cheers

Hi Ed,

That number is for entire chassis.  Up to 250 Gig ports.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps4324/prod_models_comparison.html

HTH

Thanks Reza

It says on that sheet that the 6E supports 384 ports. My question is, if I add a 4648 card, does that suddenly mean my whole chassis is then limited to 240 ports?

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card