cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Upgrading two different switches

John N
Level 1
Level 1

I am upgrading my old 4948 switches to another model C3850 switches.  I want to keep the exact same configuration and setup for the new switches as the old ones.  It's a VTP setup with one server and 7 clients.  Is there a way to transfer the config file or would I manually have to move the VLANS etc. over to the new switch? Any assistance would be appreciated.  

11 Replies 11

Hi

There is not command translate tool, at least not found. But what you can do is take the show running config from the 4900 and run int the 3850. Probably some or many command will fail due syntax differences and then you can go over those commands and confirm the right syntax for 3800 and fix it.

Just make sure you get the command manual right for your switch version.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst4500/12-2/15-02SG/command/reference/cmdref.html

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3850/software/release/16-12/command_reference/b_1612_3850_cr.html

How would physically do this? Thanks for the help...

Just connect to both switches and copy from one and paste in the other using the terminal.

You can also make a backup in a TFTP server and import in the other switch

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Regarding just VLANs, you could probably connect your 3850 as a VTP client and pull a copy of your VLANs to it (this assuming you're not using VTP ver. 3).

For moving the config, likely you'll have conversion issues.

John N
Level 1
Level 1

I am using VTP Version 3 unfortunately.  So I am guessing this can only be done manually at this point? 

To add more to this issue I am having - on the "old" switch when I enter show vlan it does not show the VLANS attached to the ports - It shows the VLAN and name but not the ports which are attached to them.  

"So I am guessing this can only be done manually at this point?"

Sorry, I don't know.  I only know VTPv3 is more particular about the roles of servers and clients, and sharing the VTP VLAN database and/or converting the 3850 to be the VTP server (if that's what you want).  I.e. I suspect the 3850 can at least be made a VTPv3 client, but beyond that, again, I really don't know.

Given differences in OS between 4948 and 3850 and probably differences in versions of code between the devices, yes realistically the transfer of configuration between devices is going to be a manual process. I would suggest that you start by getting the current running config of 4948 into a text file (as has been suggested using tftp to copy the running config to a tftp server is one approach, or dong a show run and copy and paste the output into a text file would work). Then input the 4948 config into the 3850. I suggest transferring a group of lines at a time rather than transferring the entire file at one time since this will make it easier to identify any error messages generated from loading the config onto the 3850. Then compare the new running config on 3850 to the original config identifying where there are mismatches.

HTH

Rick

I truly appreciate all the feedback and help I really do.... So I want to transfer the running-config to my TFTP and transfer it that way.  When you say transferring a group of lines sorry if this sounds dumb how would I input the running-config to the 3850?

If you use TFTP to copy running-config to the TFTP server, you then get a copy of the config file from the server to your computer. From your computer you can transfer the config to the 3850. You could login to the 3850, go into config mode, edit the copy of the config on your computer, select all, copy, and then paste into the 3850. My experience is that this usually does not work well. My suggestion is to transfer a group of lines (perhaps that group is 10 lines of the config (which is kind of arbitrary), or perhaps a group might be the lines for aaa, and a group of lines is each interface, and a group might be an access list, or the routing protocol, the console, the vty, etc. As you transfer each group be alert for any messages generated about things that did not work as expected. After the transfer is completed compare the new running config on 3850 with the config from the old switch and look for differences.

HTH

Rick

Ok so I have made progress in this case and I appreciate everyone's assistance and advise and help.  I am working on a core "SERVER" in a VTP setup.  I was able to transfer over VLANS and ports however when I click on show vlan half the ports show up on VLAN 1 even though when I run a show run int gig1/0/1 it shows the ports are logically connected but they dont show that when i run SHOW VLAN... Just as a backdrop the first 20 or so ports are VMWARE connected.... Am i doing something wrong? 

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card