cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

*****URGENT***** Member of 3750 stack stuck in Provisioned state.

nfordhk
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

We currently have 4 switches stacked. They were operating as normal then all of a sudden 1 went into Provisioned state. It shows all connectvity to its uplinks Even servers currently do not show their NICs down however I could not verfiy the switch is getting anywhere in the network as when I tried to connect a computer I could not bring a link up (which I kind of expected). At first Member 2 and 4 were in Provisioned state. Upon rebooting 4, it came back up, then when we tried to reboot 2 it came back up aswell but then cause 4 to go itno Provisioned state. We then rebooted 4 again, it came back up but 2 went into Provisioned mode. We cannot reboot the master as 1 and 3 hold mulitple server Primary NICs. Members 2 and 4 hold secondary NICs. Is there a way to bring both switches back online without rebooting the entire stack? They all have the same IOS.

If you all need any more outputs please let me know. I will be watching this thread closely for responses as this is affecting our production.

Current
Switch#  Role      Mac Address     Priority     State
--------------------------------------------------------
*1       Master    0013.6075.e380     15        Ready              
2       Member    0000.0000.0000     0         Provisioned        
3       Member    0019.e7a7.8280     13        Ready              
4       Member    0019.e84d.d700     1         Ready              

Stack Port Status             Neighbors    
Switch#  Port 1     Port 2           Port 1   Port 2
--------------------------------------------------------
  1        Ok         Ok              None       4
  3        Ok         Ok                4      None
  4        Ok         Ok                1        3

A show inventory recogonizes all of them

NAME: "1", DESCR: "WS-C3750G-24T"
NAME: "2", DESCR: "WS-C3750G-24T"
NAME: "3", DESCR: "WS-C3750G-48TS"
NAME: "4", DESCR: "WS-C3750G-48TS"

10 Replies 10

ankugarg
Level 3
Level 3

Hi Nicholas,

This looks little strange.Booting up one more switch,shouldn't take the already working switch to provisioned mode.

Please make sure following things--

Stack cables are connected properly and in proper seequence.

Also,i hope baud rates of all the switches are same.Only then you will be able to access the consoles of all the switches in stack.But in that case,switch is up.Its only that we are not able to access the consoles.

Also,how are you rebooting-Power cycle ?..If you have not tried power cycle of affected switch,please try so.

Hello Ankur,

Yes we have the cabling correct the same as the cisco picture from the guide. We are rebooting the switches by unplugging the power cable. I can console into each switch seperately except for 2 right now as it acts like its not even there.

You mean you are not able to console into 2 even if you power cycle it ?..Till the switch does not join the stack,it is completely standalone and there should be no problem in doing console to it...Let me know if you are able to console to it at any point of booting up...If you are not able to do so,thats the entirely separate issue from stack problem...You may first need to check why console is not happening.

If console is going off only after stack master election,then its due to disparity in baud rates.

We had power cycled it and it came up and 4 went down. At that point we could console. When we power cycled 4 that came up and 2 went down. By down I mean its not in the stack but all connectivty lights appear to be functioning from uplinks to server connections.

When trying to console in its current state it says

Switch 2 console now available

Hit return to get started

However I can never proceed past this screen.

What IOS are you running?

All 4 switches are running C3750-IPBASE-M

Hi,

Provisioned

Ports are assigned in the stack running-configuration, but no switch with the port numbers Fa3/0/1, G3/0/1, and so on, is detected in the stack. If a switch that previously joined a stack is removed, the port numbers remain in the running-configuration, and the missing switch is shown as Provisioned.

The Provisioned state might be caused by a switch that is no longer connected to the stack or be the result of manually preprovisioning the related ports. See the Catalyst 3750 or the Catalyst 3750-E switch software configuration guide for more information on preprovisioning switches in a stack.

Also please check the below...

1.  Stacking cables are not properly seated or s crewed in;
2.  Faulty stacking cable; or
3.  Faulty stacking port(s)

Please rate the helpfull posts.
Regards,
Naidu.

All 4 switches are running C3750-IPBASE-M

Ummmm ... That's not the version.  Can you please post the output to the command "sh version"?

Hahaha, im sorry I had just woken up, no contacts.

12.2(25)SEE2

Could be an IOS bug.  This is, after all, a very, very old IOS.  Try upgrading the IOS and see if it helps.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card