cancel
Showing results forĀ 
Search instead forĀ 
Did you mean:Ā 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

[URGENT] Upgrade of a SWITCH STACK with members of different models.

ttalai
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

This case is urgent please.

We have a stack of SWITCHES

Some members of this stack are C9200-48PL
The others are C9200-48PXG

They all have the same current version 17.3.5
The target version of the upgrade is 17.6.5 MD

Could we go with the upgrade with the same Firmware ? Since we notice that the firmware name of these models on the download section in the Cisco Site is the same "cat9k_iosxe.17.06.05.SPA.bin"

Thank you in advance.

Regards,

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hello @ttalai,

You're welcome.

You are correct. For Cisco Catalyst 9200 switches, you can upgrade the entire stack together as long as they are running the same software feature set and version. In your case, since both Member 1 and Member 2 are C9200 series switches, you can perform a unique upgrade of the stack without the need to separate them.

To upgrade the entire stack, you only need to push the firmware [cat9k_iosxe.17.06.05.SPA.bin] once, and it will be applied to both switches. The stack will maintain its configuration and operate as a single logical entity.

Regarding the different sections for firmware on Cisco's website, it is not uncommon for Cisco to organize their software downloads into different categories or sections. The reason behind this organization is to help users easily find the appropriate software for their specific hardware and requirements.

For example, Cisco may have separate sections for general feature releases, maintenance releases, special releases with specific fixes, or specific feature sets tailored for certain types of deployments. This categorization helps users find the right software based on their needs.

In your case, both Member 1 (C9200-48PL) and Member 2 (C9200-48PXG) should be part of the same C9200 series and can use the same firmware release (cat9k_iosxe.17.06.05.SPA.bin) since they are running the same feature set.

Best regards
.ı|ı.ı|ı. If This Helps, Please Rate .ı|ı.ı|ı.

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- Yes , that will work , 

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

M02@rt37
VIP
VIP

Hello @ttalai,

A switch stack can have up to 8 stacking-capable switches connected through their StackWise ports. Only homogenous stacking is supported, that is, a stack of Cisco Catalyst 9200 Series Switches with only Cisco Catalyst 9200 Series Switches as stack members.

Then Yes! Same product families and their sub families products can be stacked.

Furthermore, 

You can mix switches with different model variants and different network modules in the stack; however, it is not possible to mix the 9200 and 9200L models due to different stacking bandwidth.

Source: https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&opi=89978449&url=https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/switches/catalyst-9200-series-switches/nb-06-stackwise-architecture-cte-en.html&ved=2ahUKEwj65s6FgZmAAxXvTKQEHWo4B5sQFnoECBIQAQ&usg=AO...

Best regards

Thank you for your reply, I really appreciate your help.

Ok As I understand, a unique upgrade of the stack is possible ? No need of separting these 2 members since they are both C9200 ? 
Member 1 of the STACK : C9200-48PL
Member 2 of the STACK
 C9200-48PXG

I just have to push this firmware : cat9k_iosxe.17.06.05.SPA.bin

What I don't understand is why Cisco put there firmware in different sections while the same on can be used for both of them ?
This was confusing for me.

I don't know if I was clear.

Thank you.

Regards,

Hello @ttalai,

You're welcome.

You are correct. For Cisco Catalyst 9200 switches, you can upgrade the entire stack together as long as they are running the same software feature set and version. In your case, since both Member 1 and Member 2 are C9200 series switches, you can perform a unique upgrade of the stack without the need to separate them.

To upgrade the entire stack, you only need to push the firmware [cat9k_iosxe.17.06.05.SPA.bin] once, and it will be applied to both switches. The stack will maintain its configuration and operate as a single logical entity.

Regarding the different sections for firmware on Cisco's website, it is not uncommon for Cisco to organize their software downloads into different categories or sections. The reason behind this organization is to help users easily find the appropriate software for their specific hardware and requirements.

For example, Cisco may have separate sections for general feature releases, maintenance releases, special releases with specific fixes, or specific feature sets tailored for certain types of deployments. This categorization helps users find the right software based on their needs.

In your case, both Member 1 (C9200-48PL) and Member 2 (C9200-48PXG) should be part of the same C9200 series and can use the same firmware release (cat9k_iosxe.17.06.05.SPA.bin) since they are running the same feature set.

Best regards

You're the best.

You undertstood my question, you were clear and very generous.

Thank you so much.
I wish you a successful life

Regards,

You're so welcome @ttalai 

We do all our best to help everybody here. All that guys also deserve big thanks.

Best regards

@ttalai wrote:
cat9k_iosxe.17.06.05.SPA.bin

The file is NOT compatible with a 9200 switch. 

Firmware for the 9200 has the word "lite" in the filename.  Above firmware is meant for the 9300, 9400, 9500 and 9600.

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Direct upgrade is supported. 

There are two ways to upgrade the stack:  CLI or GUI. 

Cisco ISR & ASR 1k Routers: IOS-XE/Firmware Upgrade (Install Mode)

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card