Views
Helpful
Replies

using a linux box and USB-RJ45 to connect to console port

commanderrikker
Level 1
Level 1

Hi everyone:

I'm studying for the ICDN1 exam and I bought an old catalyst 2900 Series XL to have something to play with for studying.

I'm in a Linux only environment and my laptop doesn't have a serial connection, but I did find a USB to RJ45 cable that looks like a rollover cable.  Has anyone tried this setup and had success?  How did you configure things to work in Linux?  I downloaded minicom but I can't seem to find the device to connect it to.

Thanks,

Rick

1 Reply 1

worldwide1
Level 1
Level 1

Source: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/CiscoConsole
Comments: I did not need an usb to serial converter cable.  It worked out just fine.

• Install minicom
  • Find the name of your usb port with the following command

dmesg | grep tty

[ 0.000000] console [tty0] enabled
[4369985.708013] usb 3-1: FTDI USB Serial Device converter now attached to ttyUSB0
[4370808.468473] ftdi_sio ttyUSB0: FTDI USB Serial Device converter now disconnected from ttyUSB0
[4370998.270624] usb 3-1: FTDI USB Serial Device converter now attached to ttyUSB0
[4372325.714145] ftdi_sio ttyUSB0: FTDI USB Serial Device converter now disconnected from ttyUSB0
[4372359.720319] usb 3-1: FTDI USB Serial Device converter now attached to ttyUSB0

• sudo minicom -s 
  • Configure minicom
    • baud 9600
    • Hardware flow NO
    • Change the device /dev/ttyUSB0   (Your output from the dmesg command)
  • "Escape" to go back to the main menu.
  • Next, you need to select "Save setup as dfl" and hit "Enter" to save these settings to the default profile. Then select "Exit Minicom" to exit Minicom.
  • Restart minicom   sudo minicom

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card