cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Using an old 2600 router to be a frame relay switch for lab purposes

speedup
Level 1
Level 1

I have an old cisco 2600 router, and a couple newer 2811 routers, and a couple 3750 switches.

Question.  My 2600 has a slot for an expansion card.  Can I install card NM-4T1-IMA which has 4 ports and mimic a frame relay switch with that?   It looks like the ports are serial ports, and I wanted to see if I can connect that with the 1DSU-T1v2 cards I use in my 2811.  Will the 2600 work as the DCE clocking side of the circuit with that card?  Also, will a crossover serial cable (RJ45 connector) work?  

If that setup will not work, can you suggest one that would?

I am a beginner, sorry if this question/idea is ludicrous lol

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Frame relay using serial interface is very old technology and it is not used much these days anymore. Instead of that, just get a few cross over copper cables and connect 2600 to 2811 using the Ethernet ports. You can also use regular copper cables (straight) to connect the 2600 and 2800 to 3750 using all Ethernet ports. No need you to worry about serial interfaces, cables, clocking, etc.

HTH

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Frame relay using serial interface is very old technology and it is not used much these days anymore. Instead of that, just get a few cross over copper cables and connect 2600 to 2811 using the Ethernet ports. You can also use regular copper cables (straight) to connect the 2600 and 2800 to 3750 using all Ethernet ports. No need you to worry about serial interfaces, cables, clocking, etc.

HTH

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
In addition to Reza's post, I don't think CCNA will cover FR/ATM anymore.
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card