cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Very Basic Ethernet/Hub Question

visitor68
Level 4
Level 4

Here's something that most of us probably haven't thought about in years.

Some Ethernet basics...

We all know that when deploying a hub, even though the physical topology may be a hub and spoke (just like a switch), the logical topology is still a bus. Therefore, end stations must run in half-duplex mode to be able to leverage CSMA/CD - you know, listen and send if all clear. If not, start a randomized backoff timer and resend when timer expires.

What I have never seen explained is what it is about a hub that presents a bus topology? If coaxial cable is deployed, it is easy to visualize the fact that it leads to a bus topology and that collsions will occur because there is one wire upon which each station receives data from others and sends data to others. But if UTP cable is deployed (Cat 5, etc), there are separate Rx and Tx pairs, so what is it about the hub that creates a bus topology?

Note, a hub does indeed use flooding, but so does a switch sometimes (unknown unicast, for example), yet even when a switch floods, there is still a hub and spoke topology - physically, of course, and logically - hence, no collisions.

Thoughts?

Thank you

17 Replies 17

Thanks guys for all the answers....interesting conversation.

Hey Victor

Long time no speak (mainly down to me i have to say!). How are you keeping ?

Isn't it interesting how a fundamental topic that we have  long ago abandoned comes back to haunt us? I think what happens is that  we learn these basic concepts at a time when our overall understanding  is limited, and therefore we do not question certain aspects of what we  are told. As time passes, we learn about much more advanced topics and  forget to worry about the details of the basics, which may have been  presnted to us incorrectly when we first learned them.

You can say that again   I am constantly revisiting things due to questions here on CSC and this one has got me thinking a lot about L2 switches on general. I think you are spot on in what you say above, you learn very early on a switch creates it's own collision domain and you just accept it and move on.

I think this is where Peter excels on CSC, because he teaches this stuff to students he needs to be on top of a lot of things and has knowledge of the intracacies of how things work that quite honestly i don't have.

Hope you are well my friend and your'e job is still keeping you busy (and interested !).

Jon

Peter

You've gone all purple !!!

Congrats on the new star, totally deserved.

Get used to being purple for a while though, i remember it took ages to move on to the next star

Jon

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card